The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Is it too late to feed Paprika? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/too-late-feed-paprika-170313/)

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 04-07-2013 05:57 PM

Is it too late to feed Paprika?

Hi I live in Northern Ontario Canada . The horses have just started shedding and are still pretty shaggy. There is still lots of snow everywhere. Would it be too late to start feeding paprika to help darken their summer coat? I have a black and white appaloosa that fades to a light brown in places and I would like to use something to darken his coat without keeping him in or covered all summer. Also would Paprika benefit a sorrel horse at all or is there something else that would make his red coat redder?

ThePaintGirl 04-08-2013 03:46 PM

I would say its not to late since you would still need to feed it through the summer. As long as they aren't already faded it should work fine. I just started my black gelding on paprika maybe a week ago and he just started shedding as well.

TurkishVan 04-09-2013 12:30 PM

I started feeding my mare paprika in mid-July, and it definitely made a difference. New hair growth is coming in all the time, so you definitely should be okay with starting now.

Blue Smoke 04-17-2013 10:32 PM

Paprika should make all colors more vibrant and resistant to fading ;)

And I usually start when they start to shed and continue through the summer, I do not feed it fall/winter. My blue roan has a tendency to fade out in the summer and since I've been feeding just a tablespoon a day he has stayed completely black all summer long.

Eolith 04-17-2013 11:45 PM

How much paprika do you all give your horses per day? I'm wanting to try it out, but I'm not sure how much to put in their feed.

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 04-18-2013 02:06 AM

I am feeding mine 1 tablespoon a day. Thank you for all the replies. I didn't realize it was good for all colors. I think I will start feeding my sorrel some as well. I am hoping it will just make his coat more vibrant and not really darken it

Missy May 04-19-2013 12:35 AM

hmm. Interesting, I have never heard this before - now I am curiouse, besides - I can't think of a better use for the stuff. :)

JavaLover 04-19-2013 12:40 AM

How does paprika work exactly?
Posted via Mobile Device

ApolloRider 04-19-2013 12:47 AM

Oooh. I'm gonna try!

~*~anebel~*~ 04-19-2013 12:55 AM

If you are planning on showing, be careful because paprika contains capsaicin which will show up on a drug test.