The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Looking for other Curly owners (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/looking-other-curly-owners-170425/)

GreenBackJack 04-07-2013 07:35 PM

Looking for other Curly owners

Alone in a Curly, Curly world...
I recently "fell into" owning a Baskir Curly and am finding that they are um, a bit different, than other horses. I've found stuff on the breed and I understand that they are rather rare but, I have not had much luck finding any actual forum/discussion about them.
My guy is on the big side at 17hh and rather drafty. He's got all the great qualities of a Curly but in a "Venti" sized package. *can you tell I'm missing my daily latte?
He has a dash of Arab in his Curly genes, the combination making him wicked smart. Example: I locked him and my Walkaloosa out of their stalls for some cleaning the other day. The Walkaloosa came and kicked/knocked at the door. The Curly just started opening the latch. LOL (it's a new barn to them and the first time I've closed those doors.) I'm careful not to leave my cell phone in the barn for fear that he'll call the local farm and feed and have some oats delivered!:shock:

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are other Curly owners currently on the forum and if you've got any stories you'd be willing to share. Could there possibly be enough out there for a sub-sub category?:mrgreen:

swimminchikin 04-11-2013 11:47 PM

I saw your post and couldn't resist commenting on it. While I no longer have Curlies, I grew up riding and raising a trio of them.

My personal mare was a registered straight haired curly. Every spring she experienced some trouble breathing and when I had her tested for allergies it came back positive for around 30 different things. The vets office couldn't believe it. She was allergic to everything from cotton to grain, grass, and a plethora of other things. It was a nightmare. Between her and the other two I never had much luck with the breed. I now have two Quarter horses and am convinced their the best breed ever.

Good luck with your curly. I hope you have a better experience than I did with the breed. FYI - you might want to check out the associations newsletter's from the mid 1990's. They provide an amusing read.

GreenBackJack 04-12-2013 01:48 PM

Wow Swimminchikin, that's incredibly ironic. Your hypoallegenic horse turns out to be allergic to everything! I can understand why you'd be happier with the QHs. So far and thankfully, my experience with the curly has been very positive. I appreciate your stopping in and taking the time to share your experience. I've been trying to find other curly owners to learn about their experiences with the breed but as you know there just aren't that many of them out there. You're input was very welcome and thank you for the suggestion on the '90s newsletter, I'll see if I can dig that one up.
Glad to hear you now have horses you're happy with!

CLaPorte432 04-12-2013 02:04 PM

889 Attachment(s)
subbing.

i own a curly and a curly cross. and have had multiple others, either owned or trained by me. they are definitely a different breed.

ill post more when i get home!
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 04-12-2013 02:24 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-bree...-filly-152621/

GreenBackJack 04-12-2013 11:58 PM

Thanks Texasgal!

GreenBackJack 04-13-2013 12:05 AM

CLaPorte432 Thank you for posting. I am looking forward to learning about your Curlies. I was relieved (I think that is the correct word choice. hehe) To hear you say that they are indeed different. I know we all feel our horses to be one of a kind characters, which of course they are but, it seems like the Curlies are just packing a few extra tricks in their saddlebags. :-)