The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique Jackpot the Dunskin (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-jackpot-dunskin-170481/)

Peppy Barrel Racing 04-07-2013 09:33 PM

Critique Jackpot the Dunskin

So Jackpot just turned one year old. He is 13.5 hands and I assume he is QH he came from an auction so I have no background on his breeding. Hopefully he may make a nice barrel horse but that's a few years away. I know babies change but I was curious what you guys think so far. I didn't take any leg pics since baby legs are squirrelly. And ignore the feet I know he needs a trim, the farrier is coming this week.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps5661bdbc.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps4423d2b1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...psd85f329c.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Horserunner 04-07-2013 10:09 PM

Holy pasterns batman! lol He is soooo hansom! Hes still got some growing but right now he looks pretty even. lil down hill and a lil over at the knee but that may change. Hope this help a lil bit.

bhorselover 04-08-2013 02:43 AM

HE IS SOOO CUTE!!! lots of growing left to do to do a full 100% critique though.

stevenson 04-08-2013 02:48 AM

looks like he will be a nice horse when he is done growing.

Peppy Barrel Racing 04-08-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horserunner (Post 2159025)
Holy pasterns batman! lol He is soooo hansom! Hes still got some growing but right now he looks pretty even. lil down hill and a lil over at the knee but that may change. Hope this help a lil bit.

His pasterns aren't really that long I think having too much toe on his front hooves is giving that impression in the picture though. Here's him during the last summer they look much more normal here.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...2B1A57F3A7.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 04-08-2013 02:51 AM

He looks well balanced overall. He really needs a hoof trim, though. Looks like underrun heels are putting A LOT of tension on his tendons. I have been going through the same thing with Henny. He had a lot of hoof problems and he's almost 100% now. If I were to do anything with that colt, it'd be to fix his feet quick before some damage is done.

Peppy Barrel Racing 04-08-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayella (Post 2161697)
He looks well balanced overall. He really needs a hoof trim, though. Looks like underrun heels are putting A LOT of tension on his tendons. I have been going through the same thing with Henny. He had a lot of hoof problems and he's almost 100% now. If I were to do anything with that colt, it'd be to fix his feet quick before some damage is done.

Agreed they need some trimming ASAP farrier is coming Wednesday. I hadn't realized they had gotten that long till I went and picked them up to move them to new pasture. It feels like they grew so fast. He'll be much more comfortable in a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 04-08-2013 03:04 AM

That's good news :) I feel the same way about their feet growing so fast. I was so overwhelmed with Henny's accident that he didn't get his feet trimmed in 6 weeks. May not sound like a long time, but he's currently on a 2/3 week trimming schedule right now. :shock: He's grown almost half a hoof in 2 1/2 months! The farrier can't believe it. I can't believe it! His feet are looking 100 times better now though and he gets professional eyes on him twice a month by the farrier and once a month by my two vets when he goes in for acupuncture.

He really is looking good, though. His pasterns actually look great besides being pulled back. Young horses always tend to have "long" pasterns and they grow into them as their hoof and legs grow.

Peppy Barrel Racing 04-08-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayella (Post 2161801)
That's good news :) I feel the same way about their feet growing so fast. I was so overwhelmed with Henny's accident that he didn't get his feet trimmed in 6 weeks. May not sound like a long time, but he's currently on a 2/3 week trimming schedule right now. :shock: He's grown almost half a hoof in 2 1/2 months! The farrier can't believe it. I can't believe it! His feet are looking 100 times better now though and he gets professional eyes on him twice a month by the farrier and once a month by my two vets when he goes in for acupuncture.

He really is looking good, though. His pasterns actually look great besides being pulled back. Young horses always tend to have "long" pasterns and they grow into them as their hoof and legs grow.

I'm glad to hear henny is doing a lot better. Yeah I know he doesn't have actual long pasterns he will grow into them they ought to be just right not too short or too long from the looks of them. I've seen enough babies over the years so I can guesstimate about how they will turn out. But those hooves it seems like they grew out of no where i wonder if he will be like my mare I have to trim every 4 weeks. I had JP's and Jet's hooves trimmed like 2 month ago and jets are like perfect still but JP's have some serious toe. He has worn the sides and some of his heel down and that toe has just been really growing from the looks of it. But speaking of growing he has been growing like a weed I don't think I've ever had such a large yearling colt besides Pepper. JP is 13.5 HH and he just turned a year this month I'm thinking he's going to be a big boy. Pepper was tall like that at his age and he's 16HH so I imagine JP will be about the same. He's almost as big as Jet who is 14 HH and 20 months. When I first bought JP I asked they lady if she was sure he was six months cause he was so big but the teeth confirmed he was 6-8 months. I can't wait for him to grow but I enjoy the baby years at the same time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 04-08-2013 03:46 AM

Thank you :) Glad to have my boy healthy and "normal."

Have you string tested him? Henny's around 13.2 right now and he strung to be 15 hands even. I want him to fall just a couple inches short of that though cause I like 'em short. :wink: