The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Sophie on the flat. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/sophie-flat-170545/)

TruGing 04-07-2013 09:25 PM

Sophie on the flat.

I'm looking for critique on both my riding and the horse. I've been riding her since February. She hadn't done anything in about a year before I rode her, and she had a lot of nervous energy at first but she's calmed down quite a bit.

Shropshirerosie 04-07-2013 09:55 PM

Can't view your link. Can you post the pictures direct into the post?

TruGing 04-11-2013 08:57 PM

Here's the video, sorry, technical issues :)

MyBoyPuck 04-11-2013 09:56 PM

You need to raise your hands a little. Your line from elbow to bit is broken as it is now. Once you have the straighter connection, you will most likely find your horse reaching more into the bit. I like the rest of your position. Your leg is nice and quiet and you have a nice consistent rhythm.

tinyliny 04-11-2013 10:07 PM

yes, the rigidity of your elbow, and downward point of your hand, make your hands not as able to follow the mouth as they could. you watch, you'll see them bob up and down in relation to the neck, instead of following with the head/neck.

your mare is simply adorable and you are a sweet pair!

TruGing 04-12-2013 06:46 AM

Thanks! The hand thing sounds easy enough to fix, and it's good to hear that my leg looks good. I have been working really hard on that :)

She's not my mare, but I've been considering buying her to show on. What do you think?

faye 04-12-2013 06:55 AM

I've only been able to watch the first minute (stupid technology) but I agree with the others your hands need to be higher, your arms more bent and a lot more relaxed. I'd also say you need to get your shoulder back!!!

As for the mare she is "pootling" along doing the absolute bare minimum that she has to. She needs to be going a lot more forwards, sitting on her hocks more and being ridden far far more infront of your leg.

TruGing 04-13-2013 06:29 PM

Thanks for the critique, it's very useful. As for the mare, I was kind of waiting for this comment, I actually totally agree with you. Like I said in the post, she's been very very quick up until this video, so I was kind of walking on eggs here not wanting to test my luck. Now that she's in more of a routine I've been working on getting her more forward and in front of my leg. If you had seen her a week before this you would know why I let her get away with this. Either way I appreciate your input.

faye 04-14-2013 06:10 AM

forward does not mean fast. a difficult horse is best ridden forwards and given things to think about.