The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Helmet Or No Helmet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/helmet-no-helmet-170657/)

Faye83 04-07-2013 11:59 PM

Helmet Or No Helmet?

This may have been asked before and if so I am sorry!
I would like to know how many people wear a helmet when they ride and if Y/N, why or why not?
For me, I do not wear one unless my horse has been acting up and I feel I need one. I dont because I am very claustrophobic, also with a helmet I feel like I cant hear or see what is all around me, I know I know its weird.

Tracer 04-08-2013 12:04 AM

I wear one without fail, and I refuse to let anyone on my horse without one. Although I did get on once without it, because I'd plain forgotten..

As for why, because I bought one when I got sick of using the ones at the trail riding place I went to. After that, I just always used it, and it's a good thing I did as two consecutive falls saw me land on my head. I was grateful that my helmet scored all the grass stains instead of my skull. I bought a new helmet afterwards, and don't think I will ever ride without one, even though my horse is quiet. It's just too much of a risk not to wear one IMO. Sure, it might not save your life, but it could.

WSArabians 04-08-2013 12:04 AM

I never wear one, although I know I should (especially given my history with being bucked off, ran over, drug by, jumped over, flipped on, etc by horses... lol)
Why don't I wear one? Never had to as a kid and it was a never a habit and I can't stand weight on my head - I have a hard enough time wearing my hard hat at work, and even then it's something I always get in crap for.

And welcome to HorseForum! :)

Mochachino 04-08-2013 12:06 AM

I usually didn't with my older QH, but always riding other horses. And I am **** lucky I was wearing one a little over a week ago when riding a school horse as it spooked and lost it and I fell hard. I do not remember what happened before, during or after the fall. I was conscious and I got up and everything and wanted to get back on, but I don't remember any of it, only what my instructor told me that I did and said. I didn't remember my name or where I lived. I started coming back when I arrived at the hospital. I ended up with a concussion and wonder what would have happened if I wasn't wearing my helmet. I would never have expected this horse to do what it did, but goes to show that you never know and when it happens in an instant you will have wished you had one on. I'm now wearing it all the time I ride. Riding without one is just not worth the risk.

liv885 04-08-2013 12:07 AM

I've always ridden with a helmet. I've been brought up with the fact you always need a helmet when riding. I'll keep using a helmet since you can not control every factor when riding and never know if something will happen. Also I'm a nurse so have seen what happens when people don't wear a helmet when it comes to horse riding, motorbikes and bikes.

GamingGrrl 04-08-2013 12:42 AM

I wear one. It looks dorky and it's not comfy, but it's more comfy than a wheel chair or having my brains scraped off the arena wall. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Misty'sGirl 04-08-2013 12:47 AM

I always wear one. Why? A friend was riding a totally bombproof school pony who slipped in mud and fell; she hit her head. Me, riding my mostly bombproof mare who bolted unexpectedly and I ended up in hospital having surgery.

I won't tell anyone else what to do (except my future kids, who will never be allowed near horses without helmets) but personally I will NEVER ride without one. Accidents happen. Even totally bombproof horses can slip in mud, like what happened to my friend.

gunslinger 04-08-2013 07:52 AM

How many times does this need to be discussed?

There have been dozens of threads on this subject posted in the past.

Is there some kind of hidden agenda with this issue?

DancingArabian 04-08-2013 09:30 AM

I don't understand why so many people are so worried over how many other people are or are not wearing a helmet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Faye83 04-08-2013 10:48 AM

Holy guys! It was JUST a curiosity question! If you read my first post Gunslinger, you would have read that if it was already asked or posted before I am sorry as I am new here and could find another thread about it.