The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   poooooooor ponies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/poooooooor-ponies-1707/)

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-30-2007 04:04 PM

poooooooor ponies

ok i really don't know how to handle is suduation, it's with in my husbands family, my sister in law has 4 ponies on her property, it's less then 2 acres, 2 are in pen's that are 36x 36 and 2 share one pen of the same size, (sand floor pen's), she has been out of hay for 2 weeks and is feeding grain (12 %) with alfafa pellets X2 daily, she is (she wont ammit it) afraid of taking the ponies out to graze, i have explained to her that they need roughage, i few night's ago i took the 2 year old filly out graze and told her to bring her horse out to graze....(her 3 year old horse is not halter trained) it took her about 45 minutes to convince the horse to come out of the pen (it's only been out 3 times with in the past year) and she stood by the gate the whole 5 minutes the horse was out, i do not know where this women ever got the notion that she is a good horse woman, this she is not.....as for the 2 that i grazed where halter trained by me when they were on my farm, ( i got in to a tiff with my father in law and he moved his ponies over to her place) she often run's out of hay and claimes she can never find hay, she was buying hay from a friend of our be he wonts sell hay to them any more (she great at burning bridges) , the welsh pony that she own's is buggy whipped every time it is fed (bro in law makes the poor guy stand on his hinds leg's when going in to the pen to feed ) the little guy is so head shy and is smacked hard if he tries to bite......he was never like this when he first arived at her place but unfortaunlly her cousine was stupid enough to sell her a pony is the first place, i really do not know how to hand all this, i cna't go locally with this but it need to go some were with this, i can not stand this any more and those horses need help

~*Hunter_Gurlie*~ 04-30-2007 05:27 PM

aww poor horses.It's still hard for me to believe that people do that to their horses.You should defiantly do something about it but I'm not really sure what you could do.

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-30-2007 09:25 PM

i went and spoke to our local 4-h horse rep and told her what was going on, she suguested to get them on purina complete feed if there not getting any hay, my sister inlaw can't aford the $150 for a 2ooo lbs bale of hay, and the locals are tired of giving her hay, i am too...in fact where all tired of her asking for hand outs all the time

meggymoo 05-01-2007 04:24 AM

Aww Kansas, thats a situation that must be absolutley horrible to be in.
Its extemely difficult when its family, but at the end of the day, they are being cruel.

I think you are going to have to be cruel to be kind, as the saying goes. Either have a very harsh word in their ear to give them a wake up call, or report them. You could always do it anonymously.

I know they are family, but they are being very unfair to those ponies.. :roll:

bolly 05-01-2007 09:47 AM

I think your going to have to just tell her straight. Otherwise who knows what will happen to those ponies. I know it would be hard to tell her though. If I were you, i really wouldnt know what to do! ]

Best of luck with the situation, and i hope a good out come is the conclusion.

P.s - Keep us posted on the ponies. I just want them to be ok! x

abacotb 05-05-2007 07:38 PM

what kind of general condtion are the horses in, why won't she let them graze? If she is worried about laminitis suggest maybe founderguard. All else fails and the horse are in poor condition try the RSPCA, sounds like you don't get on with them anyway!

KANSAS_TWISTER 05-07-2007 10:43 PM

she doesn't even know what foundering means...she's just afraid of horses, when our horses nudge us we usaully pet them back, where as she see this as a threat and would hit them ...hence there all head shy now.....she had a 12 hand pony take off on her last year ( her cousine had bad judgement to sell him to her) and she does not like to take them out since she was tramatized, i have backed my mare so many times to count and she starts lieing about what she's done..... no horse poop or hoof prints out side the pens as proof , she says that she's lunged them with saddles on any every thing but yet the tack is still in the corner collecting dust......i own 6 horses my self, even though i think there pains in the butt i love them to death, but i would never put any kind of horse through whatthey are doing

TxHorseMom 05-18-2007 02:21 PM

I would turn her into the authorities. Animal control, or the ASPCA or whatever agency is in your area. You can do it anonomously. They need help.

I also don't think much of your hay person if they won't sell her hay. (unless they don't pay or something.) It's not her who suffers if they don't have hay, it's the animals. :evil:

KANSAS_TWISTER 05-19-2007 10:59 PM

i think highly of my hay guy....a lot of people will not sell hay to my sister and brother in law because they have been know to not pay on a lot of thing's...my hay guy has the right to sell hay to WHOM ever he wants and has chosen not to sell it to them on the facts that....that every time we get there hay he complains that it is moldy and unfit to give to his ponies.....this is every time....every one that my brother in law has bought hay from claims that it is moldy or unfit to feed his ponies in hopes that he can get a free bale....the sheriff has spoken with us and the inlaw claims that it is our fault for not getting her hay for her ponies.....yes her ponies........i have 8 horses that i personaly take care and MAKE damm well sure that there is hay at all times and vet care.......my father in law is on a fixed income and she drains him for her ponies.....ARE YOU GETTING MY POINT HERE...........she does not know how to take care of them on her own and know's nothing about properly keeping a horse.....last week i saw her walk in to her welsh ponies pen and wack it on the head with a bugging whip so it would stay away from her.....i have videos of my daughter lounging and working with the pony the first summer they had him.....now i wont even let her in to the ponies pen......if the s.p.c.a came in it would be a field day for them, she's got up to some words of 20 cats, kitten interbreeding.....dying all the time or really bad infections and waitting for them to die....which means...and this bring's me back to the ponies DO YOU THINK SHE CALL A VET FOR THEM..... i think not......my hay field is in it's first year and will be ready to cut soon.....that hay is going straight to my barns and for my horses only......and yes if i run out of hay this year my hay guy will be there for us......we have never defaulted him on payment of hay nor have we ever complained of his hay.....never had to because the guy knows hay.

TxHorseMom 05-20-2007 04:39 AM

That's why I said unless they didn't pay or something. He has everyright not to sell to a "customer" like that. But I have known hay people who won't sell to certain people just because they don't like them or something and that's unfair to the horses, they can't help it if their owners are jerks. :evil:

Has anyone called the spca yet?