The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How do you become a Pro trainer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-you-become-pro-trainer-17079/)

travlingypsy 11-05-2008 03:46 PM

How do you become a Pro trainer

What makes someone a pro trainer? Other then going to a college and getting into their riding programs, what are some other steps/pathes that trainers have taken?

kickshaw 11-05-2008 06:20 PM

according to ASHA, the definition of "pro" is someone who gets paid to do their job (instructing, training, etc.)

Hrt4Dressage 11-05-2008 06:25 PM

Actually, by definition, you can call yourself a professional if it is what you do for a living. That is the difference in the show world as well, between someone who shows as a professional or someone who does A/O stuff.

But I think what you are asking is what kind of programs/ experience should you have to become a trainer?
I strongly suggest to anyone who is interested in being a professional -- become a working student! You will learn all aspects of riding/barn management/horse care, etc. and will get extra riding time/training that you otherwise wouldn't get. You also get to witness the head trainer you work for doing their job and discuss how and why they took a certain approach with a particular horse. You get experience with all types of horses as well, and generally have a broader range of knowledge than you would if you were to just take lessons and pay for training.

equineangel91 11-05-2008 06:38 PM

Well I plan to go to college to do this. You know...get accepted and work and learn. After i get a degree Im going to apprentice with someone or at a very good barn. I've begun training my own horse...and made great progress. I think experience is really important...

Spyder 11-05-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travlingypsy (Post 181838)
What makes someone a pro trainer? Other then going to a college and getting into their riding programs, what are some other steps/pathes that trainers have taken?

No matter how many riding programs you may take or even do well in does not in my mind make a pro trainer.

What we should define is what makes a GOOD pro trainer, for ANYONE can hang a shingle out and there are fools born every minute.

Having a website means nothing.
Helping little kiddies means nothing ( other than someone may have fun)
Making it to the odd recognized/sanctioned show means nothing( even with a win)
Doing the Canadain/USA coaching programs means nothing

All the above is nice but it does not tell me that this person can teach a student or train a horse to the point it can be safely ridden.

So ask yourself......How do you become a GOOD pro trainer where people will WANT to come to you for REAL results.