The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Dream job vet-information (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/dream-job-vet-information-170881/)

sbe77 04-08-2013 01:02 PM

Dream job vet-information

My dream job is a vet although I would also like to be a riding instructor, could you please tell me everything you know about these jobs (I live in the UK by the way):wink:

Speed Racer 04-08-2013 01:17 PM

Your best bet would be to contact actual vets and speak with them. I don't think there are any vets on this BB, although we do have some full time/retired horse trainers.

You won't likely be able to do both, by the way. They're each physically demanding jobs, as well as taking up most of your time. You'll have to pick one or the other.

sbe77 04-08-2013 02:05 PM

Oh, I didnt mean them both I meant they are the 2 I am interested in being

Endiku 04-08-2013 02:10 PM

Also be sure to pay very good attention in school, and be ready for a huge amount of student lones! I, too, wanted to become a vet but after shadowing a vet for a while and seeing the true gore that they have to witness, then seeing how many times many of them had been hurt, and how little they were payed considering the $150,000+ that they payed for school, you could say I had second thoughts xD

I'm not trying to discourage you, by the way. Just giving you a sense of realism since I didnt realize all of that until this past year!

Shropshirerosie 04-08-2013 02:23 PM

You'd need to to all the sciences plus probably maths to grade A at A level, then do 5 years studying veterinary science at university, then live a life of hard work on relatively lowish pay. But you would be greatly appreciated by your client's owners :D

Incitatus32 04-09-2013 10:05 AM

I know here in the states academically you need to be centered heavily in math and science courses while maintaining good grades! As stated before you should probAbly job shadow a vet (large or small animals or both! :D) to get a good idea of what the job entails. I interned during high school with a horse trainer to learn about training and the vet care/maintenance of horses and then went and did a job shadow at several vet clinics to observe surgeries, common practices and euthanasias. From my understanding a lot of people who go into vet school and drop out do so because of the euthanasia amounts and scholastic workload (over here it is just.... A LOT! Lol) I do believe that being a vet will be very rewarding, but it's definitely not for the faint of heart! Either job will require physical strength, an injury here or there, many hours and a short pay check (depending on where you are:wink:). If you work with people to get experience and see if its for you, more scholarships open up to you because you've shown that you did your research and know what you're getting into! Good luck! :-)

Ps. I asked one of the vets I know what being a vet meant to him and he said: "four things: successes, failures, injuries, and always fulfilling."

xxEmilyxx 05-02-2013 04:50 PM

Aw man, good luck! I wanted to be a vet so bad, but I pass out when I stub my toe. I cannot do blood!

SaskGal 08-06-2013 06:38 PM

Funny thing is I can't stand a person getting hurt but when it happens to an animal I just react, and get the job done!

showjumperachel 09-03-2013 01:51 AM

I am currently trying to get myself into vet schools. From what I have heard and observed, being an equine vet is a very rewarding experience. However, the road to get there is very challenging. The number one thing is EXPERIENCE. Volunteer/intern everywhere you can! Vet schools want an overall well rounded candidate, not just somebody who has equine knowledge. It is important to volunteer and gain experience in other industries as well.

GRADES are another huge thing. Many people get a degree in animal science, although this is not necessary. I myself am getting a degree in chemistry. I have contacted multiple vet schools and the admissions department has said that the KEY THING is to make sure you have GOOD grades in all the pre-requisite classes. Each vet school has different pre recs so you need to make sure to thoroughly research all the ones you are applying to. IN ADDITION, your choice of major may not encompass all the pre recs. In your spare time you will have to take additional classes to fill the pre recs to go to vet school. This can amount to taking 12-17 units of science classes each semester (or quarter). It is hard work and will require a LOT of studying, but can be done.

Fro my research, most vet schools require:
--1 year of General Biology (w/ lab)
--1 year of General Chemistry (w/ lab)
--1 year of Organic Chemistry (w/ lab)
--Math(some require calculus, some require only stats)

Additional courses (depending on vet school) may require:
--A certain number of upper division credits
--Microbiology
--Biochemistry
--Animal Nutrition
--Genetics
(just to name a few!)

ALL of these courses will be challenging in their own way (trust me, as I have taken many of them!), but they are all 100% doable if you put in the time and effort.

Also, not all vet schools will require you to have a degree (BA or BS) before applying, but many of them do require upper division work which means you will have to take classes at a 4 year university as opposed to a junior college. I did MANY of my lower division course work at a JC (its way cheaper!), but eventually did have to transfer to a 4 year institution.

The bottom line is that vet school is extremely competitive (harder than med school to get into!), but if you really want to do it then go for it! If you want it badly enough you CAN and WILL achieve your goals. GOOD LUCK!!! :D