The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Could he be a good jumper? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/could-he-good-jumper-170937/)

equinelvr 04-08-2013 03:06 PM

Could he be a good jumper?

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I think I may have found the correct forum for this....finally :) I posted this a couple weeks ago in the conformational critique and got many great responses on my 3 year regarding general things, but I am looking to start jumping this guy in a couple of years and would like to see if people who jump regularly see any major conformational faults that may cause a problem. I plan on doing 2 years or so of arena/trail/flat work to give him a good foundation and develop his muscling a little bit and let him finish growing before I start jumping. As I said in my previous post, he is in a 20x20 right now and is turned out a few times a week so his muscling is going to improve with time and growth. I do expect him to widen a bit more and take care of some of the rotation that you will see in the photos. I have also attached a photo of his dam and sire is that will help with the conformational critique.

Thank you to everyone.

JustDressageIt 04-08-2013 03:09 PM

Is it possible to turn him out in a larger area more often? I'm a huge advocate for turn out, especially for youngsters - the more room with hills and obstacles, the better.
Posted via Mobile Device

equinelvr 04-08-2013 04:34 PM

Actually, I am too, but a little limited on space. He did spend the last 2 weeks in my larger pen, about a third of an acre and just went back in the 20x20 last night. I try to rotate my horses so that they can stretch their legs out.

Corporal 04-08-2013 04:41 PM

His sire is too straight in the hind legs. I dunno. He's still all leg and his shoulder looks too straight. I think you'll need to break him and see what his gaits are like. It used to be the old test of watching for natural collection would help. You rake a path of the arena smooth, then ride your horse at the walk, or lead over it, and see if the back hoof steps on or steps in front on the hoofprint of the front foot. If not, your horse will be hard to collect, hard to couple and not jump well.
All horses can jump. A good jumper takes the rider with him. A poor jumper throws the rider out of the saddle.
ALSO, I know that rope halters are the style now, but to show your horse off a really nice leather or brown or black synthetic regular halter looks better.

equinelvr 04-08-2013 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks you for your help, as far as natural collection, this is the only photo I have of him where he is halfway collected, although it is at a trot. It is from about a year and a half ago...I like the raking part to see his footfalls...I'll have to do that when I get home tonight if the wind doesn't blow away the results!!

Oxer 04-11-2013 11:09 PM

I have a pretty oddly put together, small, sporty type paint... you'd never think he had a big jump in there... but he's done about 5'2" with my barn mate, and regularly does the 3'3"-3'6" with me. You can't base too much on how the horse is put together... unless there are glaring conformation faults, the talent is either there, or it's not.

englishjumper16 04-14-2013 12:10 PM

Well he's hocks looked turned in a little and he toes look a little pointed out... I don't exactly know how to pick out a good jumping horse unless I see them being ridden. Some horses just aren't right for jumping. My horse is a small horse (14'3) and I can jump a clean 3'6 course with her and for single jumps we go higher. Jumping for her is a stress reliever she feels so relaxed when she jumps. But for other horses they just go crazy when they jump. After conformation faults it is all up to you. :)

KWPNowner 04-19-2013 12:35 PM

I don't see anything that should stop him from being able to jump! He looks pretty well balanced for a three year old - and that's often not the most attractive stage for a young horse.

His legs look clean and sufficiently straight - there might be a little too much angle to his hocks and he toes out slightly in front, but I had a fantastic Adult hunter who toed out much more obviously and it never adversely effected her, she was and is a very successful show horse. She did need to school in boots though. I think his shoulder is sufficiently laid back and has a nice open angle. His croup is less sloped than his sire's, which I prefer in a jumper. His neck ties in a little lower than ideal, but overall, I think he's an attractive young horse.

I suspect he has pretty nice hunter movement. You can set up a jumping chute to free jump him if you want to assess his style over fences. It can be beneficial for young horses to become accustomed to jumping without a rider, anyway. If you have any questions about anything I posted here, please feel free to ask! Good luck with your horse!

equinelyn 04-21-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 2168033)
You rake a path of the arena smooth, then ride your horse at the walk, or lead over it, and see if the back hoof steps on or steps in front on the hoofprint of the front foot. If not, your horse will be hard to collect, hard to couple and not jump well.

LOVE this advice thanks!