The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What kind of horse do you like to work with best? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-kind-horse-do-you-like-170945/)

TerciopeladoCaballo 04-08-2013 03:19 PM

What kind of horse do you like to work with best?

I've gone around the block a bit with the spectrum of lesson horses, backyard horses, trail loafers, and star jumpers, but I think the kind of horse I will always like working with the most would be one that gives me a challenge. It's pleasant and dandy to work with a "yes ma'am" horse, one that's not easily distracted and responds nicely to the tasks at hand--- I feel like it's the difference between a bicycle stroll by the beach and a bicycle ride up a mountain trail. The stroll's a nice breather but I like the feeling of conquering a challenge and knowing the blood, sweat, and tears of the moment are going to be worth it times a billion. My little passion for that has ended with sores, bruises, and dehydration, as you might guess, aha! However the challenges a horse has to offer have to be considered; I can't work with a dead head all month and say I'm completely thrilled :lol:

How about you? Is there a specific temperment or trait you like in a horse best?

Corporal 04-08-2013 03:26 PM

One that has good manners, has some training but hasn't memorized a particular skill, so I can continue training what I want to do. Has to be 15'2-15'3hh.

BornToRun 04-08-2013 03:30 PM

I don't like the can - do - everything horses. I like horses that are a challenge, but yet willing to learn, a horse that has been to town a few times, but not enough times to know everything.

GamingGrrl 04-08-2013 03:30 PM

I like a lovey dovey gelding. I don't mind a few harmless quirks to work on. I like horses who are quick learners and have big personalities. As to riding style I like having a push style horse more than a free runner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Endiku 04-08-2013 03:34 PM

I like riding independant thinkers. I'm not a huge fan of 'point and go' horses, although they have their time and place.

katec1991 04-08-2013 04:30 PM

. I love my gelding. He is submissive and timid but loving and intelligent. I have trained him up from nothing and have never loved another horse more. He has a big personality when he warms up to you and he definitely has his own opinion, but he is so much fun to communicate with and I love the way he thinks. I hate working with a horse I constantly have to fight with to show who's boss just to get anything done. Horses like that don't mesh with me well because I tend to be a soft person.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 04-08-2013 05:56 PM

It depends on what I want out of the horse. If I'm looking for something that's going to eventually a kid/beginner horse, I really like those dead-headed horses that take a bit longer to train. However, a horse for me, I like a big personality and an ornery streak.

I'm not a fan of resistant horses, I've had to deal with my share of them and they can be so frustrating because they are just so unwilling to respond the way I want them to.

boots 04-08-2013 07:28 PM

Built like a gymnast. The brains of Einstein. The temperment of Mother Theresa!

The horse equivalants, of course.

Palomine 04-08-2013 09:34 PM

At my age?

One that has common sense, is not the village idiot, and one that is a good representative of it's breed.

I'm well past the age of wanting any surprises, and don't want an "interesting ride" now.

waresbear 04-08-2013 09:38 PM

I like an honest, willing to try type of horse.