The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Training my horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/training-my-horse-17096/)

lb_cake 11-05-2008 11:18 PM

Training my horse

I have a 2yr and 8 month old half arabian pinto. I sent him to my friend who has been training, judging and showing horses for 30+yrs. I sent him last feb. He had just turned 2 at that time. He was not being fed properly where I was boarding him and I was worried about him and just had to get him outta there. He was underweight and kinda droopy. My trainer got his weight up and had just started some ground work (free lungeing with verbal commands in round pen) the middle of october. She said that she would like to see him mature physically alittle more but that we would start with the basics as she thought he was ready. She stated that he was listening well but was a "livewire" and sees everything. Let me just add this, boarding is 300 per month, training 500 per month. So, she pro-rated the month (I pay a month ahead). Anyway, I called her today to see how he was doing and she stated that she was going to wait to finish his training until spring and give him alittle more time to mature physically and mentally and just charge me board again. I was dissapointed in a way I guess, just because I have been waiting sooo long to get to ride him and it seems so long to wait. I know she knows what is best for him, sigh, but I also know riding a half arab before 3 is not looked up upon either. I just need some reassurance I guess from some proffesionals. Should I take him somewhere else? :cry:

kickshaw 11-05-2008 11:25 PM

i would be happy that you have a trainer who recognizes the need to lay off. There are a lot of people out there who would not only take your money, but work your horse so hard that he's not rideable by the age of 10 due to arthritis, etc.

I once worked a crop of colts for a well-known saddlebred trainer named Forrest Gibson. The saddlebred colt was midway through his second year. He would walk and trot, but really had no desire. After I rode him for Mr. Gibson and the horse's owner, Gib said "Jack, you take this horse and you give him a year off...his heart just ain't in it yet" ...so that's what we did. The horse now has regional championship titles and is 6 this year.

I would leave him there, and try to gain as much understanding as I could about his "mental" and physical progression during the next few months...who knows - by spring you could be looking at a horse that has 90 days under saddle :-)

lb_cake 11-05-2008 11:47 PM

Thanks for your honesty. I agree that she is definatly looking out for his well-being and best interests. I did not mean to sound selfish. I love him very much and I want things done the right way. I guess its just that when you are investing so much money in something and a set back comes along it is a little dissapointing. People I know who own other horses are asking when my horse will be finished and things like "wow, he hasnt been started yet?" It sort of frustrates me and makes me think there is something wrong. But in my heart I know my trainer is doing the right thing. She has an immpecible training record and is well known in this area. I guess she doesn't want to waste my money and charge me 500 a month just for round pen work. Thanks for the quick reply. :-)

smrobs 11-06-2008 12:30 AM

Good trainers will know when a horse is ready and when a horse is not. I don't believe in starting a horse any earlier than 2, but if they are slow to mature (physically or mentally) it is better to wait. If the horse is 4 or 5 before they are ready for a rider, then wait until then. My bay horse Denny was "started" when he was only 2 but he was skittish and shy. The people that were trying to ride him didn't understand and would punish him severly for flinching or shying away from things. After one of the "trainers" got bucked off and spent about 2 weeks in the hospital, the owner sent the horse to my dad to train. Due to his new job, he didn't have time to work with the horse so we just kept him around for about 2 years. I was 14 by then and still absolutely horse crazy. I was feeding them one morning in November just before school and I fell in love so I decided to ride him. We hit it off immediately and I fell madly in love. He only tried to buck 1 time when I had been riding about 2 weeks but it wasn't a hard buck, more of him testing me. To this day, 10 years later, I can walk into the pasture and he will come up to me and just be as calm as any old broke horse. But any man who tries to touch him gets a reaction as if they are the boogeyman. Other than that, he's great. Never been lame and at 14 still has the spunk of a 3 year old. Sorry to be so long winded but my point is, let someone who knows give you advise. It is better to wait to have a great horse than rush to have a bad one. Give him a couple more years before you start expecting too much.

iridehorses 11-06-2008 07:03 AM

ib, in the mean while there are plenty of things you can do with your colt. Ground work, grooming, being ponied, are all good ways to bond with your horse. Putting a saddle on him will not hurt - just don't ride him. Take him around the barn area with you as you do things or while watching other horses work. Trailer him to a show to get him used to different things and places.

You can accomplish quite a bit while he matures and when the time is right, he will have a lot of experience that other horses may be lacking.

kickshaw 11-06-2008 11:42 AM

good point bill!

Zab 11-06-2008 11:57 AM

Seems like the trainer is a good one, caring more about getting the job done properly for the horses sake than to make it quick and get it over with. But why can't you keep him somewhere cheaper untill he's mature enough to train?

I know your feeling, my horse is away on training as well, I really miss him and I really want to get him home and be able to ride him properly.. :3 But I have a few more months to wait.
I worked mine from the ground even tho I got him as a 5 yearsold (not ridden), got him used to various things and eventually sat up. (fell off, broke my wrist and slowly got back to sitting again) but didn't really come to more than walk and some steping pace in the woods before I got bored by not making progress and not having enough things to vary the training with, so I sent him off to get the job done faster and better than I'm able to myself, as our riding dicipline is new to me :)

lb_cake 11-06-2008 11:30 PM

Yes, I suppose I could move somewhere cheaper. There is a boarding stable that is closer and is only 250 per month as opposed to 300 per month to keep him with her. But she said she would still be working with him on things like clipping and some other things and I hate to move him from a place that treats him so great and he is so happy there.I guess I could move him and do these things myself though. I only regret that I cannot be there as often as I like to work on desensitizing him to things and get a head start on that. I guess I could ask my trainer to do that now or come and do it myself. Arggh, so many options! I just wish I had my own place right now to keep him. But, my hubby is in school full-time right now, so we are waiting until he gets a good job to sell our house and decide to either buy land and build a house or whatever.

Midwest Paint 11-07-2008 06:50 AM

Sounds like you have a sharp trainer!

I think you will have to weigh your financial issues, and whats important to you. You would know best what you can afford and do!

As for the trainer, very sound minded to wait if the horse hasnt matured. There are so many 30 and 45 day contracts floating around, that what happens afterwards? Is the horse sound to start riding? Sure you can have them broke in a week, but just as fast as you jump on, can be just as fast as you fall off! Any I work with, its until the horse is capable and sound, and even more after. You can't really put a solid time on one and call it good. They each learn and grow at their own abilities!

If you have the time to invest in the ground work yourself, thats the question in my opinion! Because if not, maybe best to leave as is!

Zab 11-07-2008 05:14 PM

If that's the only differense in price, I wouldn't move him (unless my economy was bad.. which it on te other hand always seem to be). I think it's good for the horse and for you when you get it back.