The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Proof of ownership... whats yours? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/proof-ownership-whats-yours-17102/)

Bitless 11-06-2008 02:01 AM

Proof of ownership... whats yours?

I was wondering what measures you guys have taken in securing your horses to your ownership should complications come up?
Things such as horse theft....ect.

I have taken photos of prominent scars, and unique markings on my 2 boys kinda as proof of my ownership.

My horses arnt insured as thats to expensive for me to afford, and neither is registered.

But just wondering what you guys do?

wyleeluver 11-06-2008 07:51 AM

I don't really do anything special, I just have their papers that say im the owner.

upnover 11-06-2008 10:23 AM

For most sales we have people sign a "Bill of Sale" which is basically a contract saying that the horse has been bought/sold, how much, etc. Plus all of my vet records/coggins papers/insurance have me as the owners. Hopefully questions of ownership never be a issue!

JustDressageIt 11-06-2008 11:50 AM

I have Denny's papers in my posession with my name on them as the owner. I also have a bill of sale.
The Jockey Club does an excellent description of body markings.
I also have a gazillion pictures of him.

moomoo 11-06-2008 01:33 PM

a million pics :D lol
Bill of sale, passport in our name, Arab reg certificate in my name and insurance

FoxyRoxy1507 11-06-2008 01:41 PM

In Florida when you get your coggins done you can get one where they take pics of your horse and put them on the coggins so theres no discrepancy not to mention the vet has a copy too. I've had to use it before and the police are the ones that told me it's the best way to do it besides getting your horse microchipped which isnt really that expensive it's only like $75 now.

kickshaw 11-06-2008 02:04 PM

TONS of pictures, bill of sale with photo included, documented vet bills, etc.

and boo of course is registered, so i have his registration papers :-)

iridehorses 11-06-2008 04:01 PM

If you take pictures, be sure you and your barn are in them as well otherwise they can be viewed as just pictures of someone else's horse.

Registration papers are good but unless the horses are branded, they may be considered a look-alike. I like the idea of microchips but there needs to be a devise for the police or auction house to read it.

My2Geldings 11-06-2008 06:06 PM

I have a bill of sale and his DNA and registration papers under my name.

Zappasowner 11-06-2008 07:41 PM

LMAO! I have a little handwritten note on a scrap piece of paper that says: I Linda (last name) have recieved $400 for He Is A Clown AKA Zappa. On May 15, 2008 from Brittany (last name).