The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Opinions wanted! *barn problems* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/opinions-wanted-%2Abarn-problems%2A-171089/)

smguidotti 04-08-2013 06:40 PM

Opinions wanted! *barn problems*

okay so there are basically three barns at my ranch. The middle barn (we call the pipe barn) is loaded with horses that have HORRIBLE hooves. Most of the horses have no name/info placard so I can't really identify them to the barn manager other than describing them by their color.

But anyway, they all, except for two (literally), have long toes and worn down heals. Some are at the point where the state of their hooves is affecting the way they walk! I can post pictures tomorrow if requested.

Is there anything I can do? Can I call animal control? Do I talk to the ranch manager?

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?

thank you for reading

-smguidotti

stevenson 04-08-2013 06:52 PM

If you call animal control you are subjecting ALL horses and animals on the property. You cannot call on one specific area , It would be all barns inspected.
Talk to the owner or manager but do not threaten with animal control .
Stick on a note on the stall door .. Dear owner please get your horses hooves done.

smrobs 04-08-2013 06:52 PM

I would start with the ranch manager. Don't be accusing about it, just ask in a polite manner. If that doesn't work, then I might consider contacting animal control...but unless the horses are ill-cared-for in addition to having bad feet, then they probably wouldn't do anything.

smguidotti 04-08-2013 07:32 PM

well, looks like I am going to have a chat with the BM :) *sighs*

It's just so frustrating! Apparently, many of the horses in this barn are, as my trainer mocks, "ANOTHER rescue". I don't remember the name of the woman/girl but said person owns many of the horses in the middle pipe barn. She apparently ''rescues'' horses. I always walk up to this barn to check up on things and all I see are horses getting worse and worse over time . . . I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN PICTURES A LONG TIME AGO!

natisha 04-08-2013 07:43 PM

Whoever owns that place needs to be responsible for making sure the horses there are kept to a certain standard. They need to bring the hammer down on the owner of those horses. However, if the BO's only standard is getting paid....

JustDressageIt 04-08-2013 07:48 PM

Bring it to the barn manager/owner's attention before you call AC. If you go over their heads and call AC right off the bat, you're burning that bridge for good.

smguidotti 04-10-2013 12:11 AM

Well, I just found out two of the horses I am concerned about belong to the BM's daughter . . . :\

Annanoel 04-10-2013 11:06 AM

If I was boarding there I would have been gone yesterday. If those horses are the BMs daughters I'd be worried. Granted they're her daughters, but how do you know your horses are being treated any better when you're gone? That's what worries me. A lot of times with rescues people get in over their heads, starts with one till they're hoarding a barn full and can't take care of any of them. It's said because at one time they were able to help and now just can't or lose interest.

There really are a lot of unknowns here, if you could I'd talk to BM AND her daughter bring up their condition see what's said. Go from there.

Getting animal control involved like JustDressageIt said wouldn't be the best idea at this point. I'd have somewhere else to board, because I'm guessing if you call AC on your BM she won't hesitate to tell you to leave...

cowgirllinda1952 04-26-2013 01:37 AM

Not sure about your state, but in TX if animal neglect or abuse is found, all animals on the property can, and probably will be seized. If it were me, I would move, and then call. Poor horses. I can't stand people who abuse animals of any kind.

loveduffy 04-26-2013 01:49 AM

well everybody said it talk to the barn owner first and them take it from there is you just go to animal control you will be labeled as a trouble maker and it is hard to find work at stable after that I am a trouble maker