The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mane trimming? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mane-trimming-171105/)

Kendall 04-08-2013 07:51 PM

Mane trimming?

I have done a mane with thinning sheers and with a pulling comb. They turn out well and with was just wondering what y'all do your horses mane with and how you do it or your techniques.

With the thinning sheers I get little sections at a time and go up and down with the sheers so it looks more natural.

With the pulling comb I get little sections again and hold the hairs I don't want and push all the other hair up (like teasing I guess?) and then wrap extra hair around comb and simply pull if that makes any sense.

Live2Ride15 04-11-2013 10:59 PM

I have never trimmed a mane but when I pull them I do it the same way you just discribed!
Posted via Mobile Device

ChelseaNoyon 04-13-2013 05:31 AM

I actually bought a solocomb quite a few years ago and have never gone back. I have a mare with a really thick mane and I found hand pulling took forever and she was never a big fan of it anyway. She actually falls asleep now while I pull her mane. It works similarly to a regular pulling comb (back comb and pull) but instead of pull it cuts. It also works as a thinning comb. I also make sure, if there's a lot of growth, to use the scissors first and perhaps in areas of extra thickness. Everyone has a different preference, but that's mine! :)

faye 04-13-2013 10:47 AM

hate solo combs and thinning sissors. They give a nice looking mane but it is always a nightmare to plait.

ChelseaNoyon 04-13-2013 04:04 PM

Braiding is never a problem for me, my horse had a impossible mane to braid before because it was so thick. It's pretty easy now. I use quic braid which makes the hair easier to grip, it helps for the stray ends.

FlipFlopTipTop 04-13-2013 08:50 PM

I dont show but I just did my TBs mane to clean it up as it was looking thin towards the ends. Just to do it quickly, I trimmed off the ends with scissors and then pulled it to make it look tidy. I only do this as a quick fix and would never do it for showing. It will be interesting to tackle my wbs mane this spring though, his is soooo thick and soo long. I almost dont want to trim/pull it just because its so nice but really he gets hot under it and it just gets messy.

Iseul 04-13-2013 09:11 PM

I just cut all mine off..lol. No bothering with combs or scissors :p
I never liked brushing a mane anyways, lol. I wonder what I'll get when she goes into hunter/jumper and english pleasure for a roached mane..?
Posted via Mobile Device

ohmyitschelle 04-13-2013 10:05 PM

I'm dreadful with making a neat mane... Tails I do alright, but manes, there's always that seems to go wrong. My mare has a thick mane too which bugs me. I recently thinned it out... it's thin, but not even - I know the look is to be natural, but there's nothing natural about it :oops:
I always want to roach it... but so many people have told me not to... so I keep trying to improve my skills haha.

Kato 04-17-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmyitschelle (Post 2221425)
I'm dreadful with making a neat mane... Tails I do alright, but manes, there's always that seems to go wrong. My mare has a thick mane too which bugs me. I recently thinned it out... it's thin, but not even - I know the look is to be natural, but there's nothing natural about it :oops:
I always want to roach it... but so many people have told me not to... so I keep trying to improve my skills haha.

I always wanted to roach my mare's mane....after some convincing from a friend of mine, where he reminded em it's "just hair, and you will always go I wonder how it would look if.. if you don't try it. It will grow back."