The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Searching for Boarding Near New Orleans (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/searching-boarding-near-new-orleans-171201/)

shirleytc 04-08-2013 09:48 PM

Searching for Boarding Near New Orleans

I live near New Orleans, LA (River Ridge to be exact). I've been taking riding lessons for quite some time now and feel like I'm ready to buy my first horse. I'm looking for a mature gelding who is dead broke. There are many out there that seem to fit the bill, so finding a horse shouldn't be a problem. Even though I am a new rider, I'm a woman of a "certain age" and want to be a responsible horse owner.

My problem is boarding. Ideally, I would like to find a place on the outskirts of the city (10-20 miles) so that I could see and ride my horse every day if feasible. In a perfect world, I would like a place that has a barn and pasture with arena and round pen. A bonus would be friendly owners and and a trainer readily available. Naturally, I know in my area it will be difficult to find a place that meets all my dreams. I would be more than happy to strike a deal with someone who has a little place they would be willing to share for a fee.

My questions: Is this the way it goes? Do most people have more trouble finding boarding than finding a horse? How do you go about finding "hidden gems"? What suggestions do you all have for me? This is new to me and I need some seasoned advice.

Palomine 04-08-2013 09:58 PM

Go by your local feed stores, the farm type ones as well as chain ones, check out bulletin boards and at the REAL farm stores...the ones that farmers use, ask them who around there has horses and who boards.

Go down all the roads you can find and stop at places that have horses.

Go to tack stores, and to trailer places and stop and tack to them.

Get phone book and call every single place that either breeds, trains or boards horses.

Just get out there and beat the pavement.

When I was moving 1000 miles north, I got a phone book up here while looking at houses in every town I was looking in...decided on house, and when got back to AL, called someone listed under horses, left message, turned out he was mayor or town, he called me, told me about someone that he would go talk to, and see if they wanted to board?

Voila! Had that figured out in less than one day. And from 1000 miles away.

You are right there, this will be a cinch.

shirleytc 04-08-2013 10:45 PM

Palomine, thanks for the encouragement and all the great suggestions! I should have known this would not be like finding a house or car to buy. It gives it a certain sense of adventure and certainly tests my mettle. With any luck, I'll make some friends and contacts along the way! I will keep you posted. My husband just won't let me keep the horse in the bathtub!