The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Has anyone every used Adequan? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/has-anyone-every-used-adequan-17124/)

KYHorseGal1120 11-06-2008 03:50 PM

Has anyone every used Adequan?

Has anyone ever used Adequan? Also what is the difference between i.m and i.a.? Is there any other prescriptions that work as well as Adequan? Is it expensive?

hotreddun 11-06-2008 03:57 PM

Adequan I.A. Veterinary Information from Drugs.com
Adequan I.M. Veterinary Information from Drugs.com

IM - Intramuscular (shot goes in the muscle)
IA - Intraarticular (not sure of spelling...but it means the shot goes in the joint)

Works good...tends to last 6 weeks to 6 months depending on the severity of the arthritis from what I've seen. DO NOT use on horses that have ever had any laminitis or founder. If you have a good vet go with IA as it works quicker and has a higher efficacy rate. If your vet is only so so...go with IM...as there can be less serious side effects.

upnover 11-06-2008 05:18 PM

Hm, I never heard that you could give Adequan any way but IM! That's the method my vet uses (he's a stellar vet!). Several of our older horses at the barn are on it and most of them respond very well. When you start off you need to do a series of loading doses (several injections over the course of a few weeks) which ends up being a little expensive (like $300 total) but then you go down to an injection every other month or so (which for us is $70, which includes vet fees). I think it's definately one of the more effective maintenance products out there and it's not unheard of for younger horses to be on it as a preventative for the future.

There's another fairly common product called Legend. It's a shot of Hyaluronic acid given directly into the joint (it can be given IV but it's not as effective that way). It doesn't last as long as Adequan does so people usually don't use it as a maitenance thing, they usually give it maybe a week or so before a show. (I think it only lasts a few weeks, if that long) It's more expensive and more risky since the injection is given right into the joint so I'm not a huge fan but it's pretty common.

I know some people who swear by Cosqeuin (a joint supplement in their feed) but I haven't personally seen any results (positive or negative) from using it. In fact, my vet said that in research done there is no proof that any of it gets absorbed into your horse's system at all!

Ryle 11-06-2008 10:10 PM

I'm not sure why you would say not to use in horses that have had laminitis/founder.

KYHorseGal1120 11-07-2008 09:32 AM

"Hm, I never heard that you could give Adequan any way but IM! That's the method my vet uses (he's a stellar vet!)."

I thought this was something you inject yourself, just prescribed by your vet. Am I incorrect?

Ryle 11-07-2008 06:26 PM

Yes, Adequan and even Legend can be given either IM or IA (this is what you generally hear called "joint injections").

Here is a nice article on joint injections and the drugs used to treat joint health issues:
http://www.aqha.com/magazines/aqhj/c...Injections.pdf

clover 11-08-2008 10:28 AM

Legond or Hycoat is usually given IV (at least that is the way my horse has always been given it). I have always used the hycoat, never used Adequan but have heard good things about it. I do know someone who used it regularly and I think she did give it IM. My vet recomends the hycoat for my horse. Actually he currently is having stifle issues which have resulted from bad hocks and he recomended something new, which is also given IV, it is the same as hycoat (hylornic acid?) mixed with some glucosemine as well. I have had to give him some time off due to his injuries but will see if this seems to help more than just the hycoat when we can go back to work in a month or so.

kickshaw 11-10-2008 01:50 PM

per the manufacturer, adequan only stays in the system for 96 hours per shot.

Ryle 11-10-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickshaw (Post 185059)
per the manufacturer, adequan only stays in the system for 96 hours per shot.

That does not mean that the effect of the drug is only 96 hours, once it reaches the joint it is used by the tissues--it doesn't just sit there. So though it is only detectable in the joint for up to 96 hours after injection, it is still benefitting the joint after that time.

http://www.luitpold.com/animal_healt...quine_faqs.pdf

farmpony84 11-10-2008 02:45 PM

I have a friend that used it on a horse of hers. It did not really help him (I mean it was a temporary fix) but the actually suspensory injury was always there... It was very costly.

That's all I know about it... I'm not much help am I?