The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My "gelding" a "stud"? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-gelding-stud-17128/)

My2Geldings 11-06-2008 05:50 PM

My "gelding" a "stud"?

So I am having some concerns. I have owned my yearling since he was 7 months old, he is now 17 months old. Withing that first month, he was what should have been gelded. Everything went well, he was a bit sore then all good. I have recently over the last month started to wonder if there is a chance he might either not been done properly (it was a young vet who did the procedure).

I have been observing him and when working with him, I have found his temper to be very studdly. I also find his neck development to be quite thick. I questioned my trainer what she thought of it and my worry and she agreed. Time passed and I didn't get worried. The farrier came yesterday and questioned me when he saw him and asked me when I was going to geld him :? Minutes later a new border asked me what my stud's breeding was :?

Now I can't recall what I saw being removed when he should have been gelded and I am aware that it takes some time for a horse to adjust, but what about an 8 month old foal?? do they really need time to adjust to nothing? because he wasn't developped at all at that age where as now I find he is a lot more muscular for his age than other horses of his breed. Out in pasture he does not do anything with the mares. He is the best mannered horse out there. He doesn't mount, he doesnt sniff tho as I said his temper when handled resembles a lot that of a stud. He does also like his poop piles (which I have also seen geldings like).

Could it be possible that something might have been left behind? Right now assuming that he was indeed gelded, is it possible he simply producing more hormone than usual which causes that development?

Skyhuntress 11-06-2008 08:19 PM

You watched the gelding though, didn't you? The vet removed both testes? I would assume yes, because even the dumbest vet is aware of the complications of leaving a testical, and I'm pretty sure you would have noticed had he not done two snips :P

However, there is also the possibilty that he is proud cut. Not because the vet missed anything (honestly, its been years since I've heard of the vet missing anything in a gelding!) but maybe because he is producing more than normal testosterone in his adrenal glands.

I don't think his neck development is abnormal for his breed though, is it? It didn't look overly thick or cresty to me. It just looked like he was starting to fill out the way he should. Maybe it looks weird because you were used to seeing it thin before?

When you mean that his attitude is really studdy, do you mean that he's rearing and striking and squealing? Or being overly involved with the mares? Because that's typical stud colt behavior for those that aren't taught differently or gelded.

Or is he maybe just not listening to you as much? Or invading your space?
I would guess that he's just testing you out. Remember, they say that yearlings and two year olds are like equivalent to 7 year old kids. Smart, irritating and always testing the limits ;)

So I'd play it by ear for a bit. I would guess that he's likely figuring out what to get away with, and if your constant with him, you'll see it decrease. (and if not, then you can always have the vet draw a blood sample and run his pannels)

JustDressageIt 11-06-2008 09:58 PM

Hmmm... how strange! Please keep us updated!!

My2Geldings 11-07-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyhuntress (Post 182862)
You watched the gelding though, didn't you? The vet removed both testes? I would assume yes, because even the dumbest vet is aware of the complications of leaving a testical, and I'm pretty sure you would have noticed had he not done two snips :P

However, there is also the possibilty that he is proud cut. Not because the vet missed anything (honestly, its been years since I've heard of the vet missing anything in a gelding!) but maybe because he is producing more than normal testosterone in his adrenal glands.

I don't think his neck development is abnormal for his breed though, is it? It didn't look overly thick or cresty to me. It just looked like he was starting to fill out the way he should. Maybe it looks weird because you were used to seeing it thin before?

When you mean that his attitude is really studdy, do you mean that he's rearing and striking and squealing? Or being overly involved with the mares? Because that's typical stud colt behavior for those that aren't taught differently or gelded.

Or is he maybe just not listening to you as much? Or invading your space?
I would guess that he's just testing you out. Remember, they say that yearlings and two year olds are like equivalent to 7 year old kids. Smart, irritating and always testing the limits ;)

So I'd play it by ear for a bit. I would guess that he's likely figuring out what to get away with, and if your constant with him, you'll see it decrease. (and if not, then you can always have the vet draw a blood sample and run his pannels)

Part of my problem is that I have no recolection that far back of what I saw the vet take out tho I'm sure I would have said something had I not seen the 2 testes being removed (or at least I hope). I've had a couple horses gelded prior to owning him.

As for everything have been removed? that is my question. Could there have been and from the sounds of it, it could be it. By any means, I had him "gelded" for a reason. I went thru the process int he first place for many reasons.
During handling he is a great boy. His level of maturity for his age actually surprises and impresses me on a regular basis. I have never caught him beign friendly with the mares (or the boys).

Once you start working with him, is when you start to notice his temper is quite out there. He is a very go getter type horse and always wanting to come and say hi and always ready to go. He comes and puts his head in the halter himself. When he comes out of his pasture, it seems that it's when that studly-ish temper comes out. I will try to get some photos of him acting that way when I can.

farmpony84 11-07-2008 04:25 PM

I think you can have him tested to see if there was one left behind... Maybe it had not dropped? It's possible that he's just being a naughty baby though... not very helpful am I? And I so wanted to add a super smart reply...

PoptartShop 11-07-2008 05:55 PM

Hmm, that's odd! Maybe it is just his personality? I mean, hey- some geldings you just wonder sometimes if they're studs, lol. :lol: Maybe you can get him checked though.

Spyder 11-07-2008 11:23 PM

The easiest and fastest way is to have his testosterone levels tested. Just a quick blood test and that is that.

My2Geldings 11-08-2008 02:34 AM

skyhuntress came out to the barn today and saw him, the first time in quite some time. We took both him and his mare out for a walk and they were both angels. Will still try to get either a video or some photos of what he does. She does think it might be him just being a him in which case that would be a lot more comforting for me.

sempre_cantando 11-08-2008 11:58 PM

mmm its really hard to know... I'd probably say that if he isn't trying to mount mares, he's probably a gelding and the other issues are perhaps just him. However, having said that, i know of several definite geldings who still mount mares. :roll: horses... they just like to make things hard for us lol

Angel_Leaguer 11-10-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempre_cantando (Post 184052)
mmm its really hard to know... I'd probably say that if he isn't trying to mount mares, he's probably a gelding and the other issues are perhaps just him. However, having said that, i know of several definite geldings who still mount mares. :roll: horses... they just like to make things hard for us lol

my one mare will mount other mares when they are in heat :shock:...

maybe he is just at that age where he is trying to see what he will get away with or he is just feeling good. I hope you get everything figured out though