The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse biting at his knee's? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-biting-his-knees-171321/)

Charley horse 04-08-2013 11:01 PM

Horse biting at his knee's?

I got a phone call just a few mins ago that my horse was in his stall biting at his knee's and pawing at the ground..
I dont know why my guy would do this, any ideas?????
We've gotten some rain today so I just thought maybe he was throwing an antsy fit or something about the mud?? I dont know..
She said she went down to check on him and he seemed fine other than the weird behavior.
(I'll see him tomorrow to double check his feet and knee's)
I am just wondering if any of you would know what would cause this behavior and if I should be worried??
Mind you he is a 5yr old and I have seen him throw some paw action "tantrums" before. I just dont want to dismiss it in case if he is in pain..Ive never seen a horse bite at his knee's before have you?

deserthorsewoman 04-08-2013 11:40 PM

Without seeing it's hard to tell. I had horses bite their pasterns and cannonbones due to bugs who emerged after a rain in warm weather. 12 horses. All biting/ scratching, but one went nuts and started running....had to flyspray him to make him stop.

Charley horse 04-08-2013 11:48 PM

Ha ha desert..Yea that sounds about right.
When I brought him in his pen earlier this evening he did have a patch of flies on his back and I sprayed him there...You may be right its just flies bugging him because I didnt spray his belly or legs..It was a quick pen up and leave before the rain..
She said "Your horse is Nuts!" He's biting at his front knee's and pawing ever so often..Ive seen him do this a couple times as I am walking down to feed in the mornings..(Could be antsy) I told her as long as he dont look like he's colicing then I will wait to see him in the morning and she said no-not colicing he's just a freak..Ha ha!

deserthorsewoman 04-09-2013 12:45 AM

The ones who bothered my horses I couldn't see...so I guess they were a type of gnat.
Here we have a smaller fly, sits in clusters on the horse and obviously bites. My greys have tiny blood spots on the legs and stomp a lot. They are also not very agile, when I spray or wipe stuff on, I frequently wipe some of them too. Strange. I noticed they were bad yesterday, they windrowed the alfalfa next to my paddocks. It had gotten rained on.....sooooo, spray legs too;-)

walkinthewalk 04-09-2013 01:01 PM

I agree with bug bites or even tick bites:shock: It really tissed me off the other day when I found blood in my 25 yo's ears from the No-See-Ums. Already! The house flies aren't even out n about yet:-(

And sometimes my knee-biting horse will actually be trying to reach for the chestnuts. I've noticed, on him anyway, if they grow too big and I don't whack them off, he will start trying to bite at them so must itch him for some reason.

This particular horse is in his mid-20's, has EMS and grows a really thick winter coat. About this time of year he starts getting the itchies, so I clip all that hair off and the chestnuts "get gone", as well.

It's probably plenty warm enough where you live to wash your horse's lower legs with some sort of medicated shampoo. I'm not much for a full bath, just yet but it wouldn't hurt to clip and wash his lower legs:-)

SaddleOnline 04-09-2013 03:01 PM

I would guess bugs, or if it rained and is muddy, as the mud dries on his legs it could be itchy. I second the medicated scrub for his legs just to be safe- I love products with tea tree oil in them for legs and skin health.

Charley horse 04-09-2013 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the tips
Saddleonline,walkinthewalk and desert. :))
I went down and checked him out today..Both front knee's seem a little swollen and like yours deserthorsewoman there was one blood spot mark I seen on him..I rubbed and felt both front knee's and they dont seem tender to touch or squishy...No heat..No limping...
Ive narrowed it down to a tantrum possibly bugs bothering him or boredom.

deserthorsewoman 04-09-2013 09:19 PM

Nasty boogger bugs.....I know why I keep my guys sprayed on the lower legs....seems to bother them most down there.
I'm glad he's okay....such a cute boy :-)

Charley horse 04-09-2013 09:34 PM

Thank you :) I am going to saddle him up this weekend and have some pony time in! Its been a while for ground work and pleasure due to bad weather here.

deserthorsewoman 04-09-2013 09:41 PM

Just noticed, you're not even 90 miles from me;-).....was wondering what bad weather....;-)