The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Read bridleless riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/read-bridleless-riding-171473/)

Saddlebag 04-09-2013 09:57 AM

Read bridleless riding

That should read real bridleless riding.

I get a kick out of the PNH who ride bridleless but brandish a stick or two to help steer the horse. As kids we steered the horses with our knees just like the Nez Perce did. It was all legs and weight shifts.

Corporal 04-09-2013 10:06 AM

Pretty cool but it takes so much time that most of us working adults can't get our horses there. **Corporal sighs**

BlueSpark 04-09-2013 10:16 AM

I think the whole bridleless riding thing is over rated. It seams to have become this big thing, where only the best trained horses and talented riders can do it.

In reality any horse that works really well off of seat and leg can do it. Heck my arab has no problems going bareback and bridless. I do honestly think you have alot more refined comunication with a bit, but you can ride without one if need be.

loosie 04-10-2013 04:55 AM

Get a kick out of PNHers riding bridleless?? Honza Blaha & Gaston are quite impressive. Also check out Guy McLean & (far & away) more impressively, JF Pignon, Mario Luraschi, Lorenzo 'The Flying Frenchman'... *Not sure of how Mario & Lorenzo train this tho.

I personally seem to do it(& many things:-P) a bit back to front to many, in that I will start, or 'retrain' a horse without headgear & work up to using a halter & then bridle when I feel we're up to it. Corporal, I so get where you're coming from re lack of time, & if you're talking taking a bridle-trained horse on a ride v's spending time to train them bridleless, that's one thing, but if they're trained well to seat & leg from the beginning, there's no extra time once you're up to riding out.

**So saying, when I ride out, while I do use 99% seat & legs & my reins are loose, I do like the 'safety chain' of reins & halter & a well trained 'one rein stop'.... not to mention something to tie a horse up with if I want to stop at a shop or such!:-P

Saddlebag 04-12-2013 10:22 AM

As kids we don't over think things like adults so the horses learned quickly. Out on the prairies the pastures are huge and if we were going to the neighbors we'd just hop on and ride to the far fence and jump off. We didn't want to carry a bridle and it worked great for us.