The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Choosing a draft (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/choosing-draft-17161/)

english_rider144 11-07-2008 01:40 PM

Choosing a draft

Hey guys! I posted this in the breeds section but didnt notice the draft section. I was wondering, what breed is the best under saddle? I mean I've had belgians, percherons and clydesdale's all under english saddle. My thing is I cant figure out what breed I like best. Can anybody give me likes and dislikes about the certin breeds of drafts?

Summer08 12-19-2008 03:04 AM

It all really depends what you are looking for in the horse, and the personality OF the horse. From my experience, the fuller the body of the breed, the queiter and solider they tend to be. Which means you wouldn't get as much motion through the legs or neck. Clydesdales and Belgians I'd put in this group. From what I've seen, Percherons and Shires tend to be a little lighter framed and get better movement. Of course this is all dependant on the specific horses I've worked with and what they were originally trained to do, and thats not always saddle work first.
I prefer something I can get my legs around and that the saddle doesn't role off of. Supple necks and soft mouths are of course key too, because if they don't want to turn and lock their neck, you're not making them.
I hope that helps

SunshineAcres 12-19-2008 07:52 AM

I prefer Belgians. I have two of them. They don't turn as tight or like to canter as much but mine will do anything for me. As far as being quiet, you can't beat them.

wanderlust 12-19-2008 10:55 AM

Unless you are set on a breed, I think a draft cross is the best way to go as for riding

Solon 12-19-2008 10:39 PM

Full drafts are perfect for riding. Each breed offers it's own special thing. So if you've already gotten experience with several then it's just a matter of picking one you like.

CJ82Sky 12-19-2008 10:59 PM

imo it really depends on what you want to do. drafts are great to ride, and i know a wonderful registered shires that are great to ride and drive, and others that are not as agile. it depends not just on the breed, but also on the personal horse. for more athleticism, a draft cross may be better, as they tend to combine the lovely movement and temperament of the draft with a lighter breed such as a tb.

there are great points to all breeds. for eventing, and anything warranting jumping over more than just small logs or x-rails/2', i prefer a cross, and love clyde crosses b/c i have one, but also b/c in my experience, they tend to have better necks (thinner and better for riding) than belgians or shire crosses. again though this is ONLY from my personal experience and have seen great drafts and crosses of all breeds.

i do eventing, hunters, and dressage with my 17.3h clyde cross.