The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rugging help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rugging-help-171873/)

Tayz 04-09-2013 09:57 PM

Rugging help

Ok so its coming into winter soon here and the cold is starting to slowly creep in. Smarty cut her chest and legs up nearly 2 weeks ago and since then hasnt had a rug on. Its looking good now, ive been pulling the scabs that are falling off off(just applying gentle pressure, some slide off the ones that don't i have left) but apparently we got rain heading for us. now its been raining this morning and in my opinion was pretty cold. I'm rugged up and under my quilt. But I know horses are different. everyone else out there has their rainsheets on but smarty. She has no other horse in her paddock and the only shelter she has is one tree and a big bush. (three tree hands over her paddock but is not in with her)
She gets a tad cold but because of her cuts on her chest i know it would rub. Is there anything that i could do if the rain sets in really bad for next few days that i could do so that she could have her rainsheet on but so that it wont rub, like buy some type of thing that goes on their chest and stops from rubbing or something? I wont put her rug on unless she starts shivering.

DancingArabian 04-09-2013 10:37 PM

You could get a sleezy and put it on her. They're also called jammies, sexy sleepwear, shoulder guards.. depends on the brand. They're usually some kind of lycra/spandex stretchy material.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Pets...,0&iccEmbed=0&

Tayz 04-09-2013 10:46 PM

I was thinking of something like that. But would that still rub. this is what it looked like a week ago, it looks much better now but still healing
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...m/IMG_3279.jpg

Tayz 04-09-2013 10:47 PM

ill get new photos this sarvo

DancingArabian 04-09-2013 11:09 PM

You'd have to get creative with a sewing machine or hand sew it. Take one of those lycra shoulder guards, then sew some layers of padding on top. You'd have to encase the padding in plastic and tape it so it doesn't get soaked. Attach it to the front of the shoulder guard, blanket on top. The area would be covered but the padding would prevent the buckles from rubbing on her. The cloth would still rub as she moved but that shouldn't do much damage as long as the wounds aren't wide.

Kayty 04-10-2013 12:09 AM

Leave the rug off. She'll be perfectly fine, just throw out more hay and make sure she's got some kind of shelter (trees will do just fine). Trust me, she'll be fine!!
I only rug my riding horses, never anything thats not being worked unless it REALLY struggles with the cold and loses weight rapidly even with an increase in hay. And that usually happens right in the middle of winter, not early autumn.

HollyBubbles 04-10-2013 02:34 AM

I think an anti-rub vest should be fine on her, though I use the quilted ones rather than the spandex as I tend to get wither rubs using the spandex ones.
But a good cover shouldn't rub her anyway. A friend of mine had her big guy go through a fence and get a fist sized hole in the front of his shoulder that got stitched up. He wore several layers of rugs and never once got the stitches or the rest of the wound rubbed.

But if she isn't one of those horses that feels sorry for herself as soon as it starts to spit, then don't worry about a cover just yet. Just do what Kayty suggested.
My boy has to be rugged, he grows no winter coat to speak of, and loses weight like it's going out of fashion.

Tayz 04-10-2013 10:49 PM

Yeh she seems to have a problem with the weather which is why i watch her. Especially coz the nights here are so cold atm with showers of rain. She has a tree and a bush but they really truly arent much shelter to be honest. The tree hangs over her side of the paddock but if te rain comes from the lther way its not useful. The bush is a little more useful
Posted via Mobile Device