The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   meeting new horse friends (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/meeting-new-horse-friends-171945/)

toto 04-09-2013 11:51 PM

meeting new horse friends

Howdy!

i noticed when im not riding i see so many people out riding their horses down my road-- i used to ride all over before one of our really awesome mares passed away-- ill add that she was my favorite.. not because she passed, because she was the type of horse that could read body language really good and i loved that!!

..back to the question.

When i rode her i never saw one person out riding their horses-- now i see them riding all the time.. when i do ride i see no one.. why is everyone hiding from me-- do i smell? *snifs armpit* not horrible.. :-P

ive even seen groups of people riding down the road-- but cant seem to find those people when im out riding.. whyyy? Lol.

When i was a kid-- i remember riding to someones house that had horses-- a complete stranger-- and asking if theyd come ride with me. They usually would- but it feels so awkward to even think about doin that now that im older-- to me it was fine cause i was a kid and didnt know no better.. now i do and it kinda seems rude.. plus i have no idea who these people are even that ride?!

I never seem to ever see that person riding or that horse around ever after the one time-- always different people and horses-- Its so weird.. and kinda creepy, lol.

There is now a few horses that live on my road and i never even see my neighbors riding them either, lol. Whats goin on? Lol. :-P

We have a nice little trail on our property and ive followed it down through some of the neighbors yards but dont wanna be in trouble with them.. be nice to know where more trails are-- and that i wont get in trouble riding them..

My dilemma is that when i moved with the hubby i dont have any horse ties in this area. I spent all my life in one area and i knew the right people in my town, but i have no idea where to go from here? How do i start all over from scratch? Where should i start?

tinyliny 04-10-2013 12:25 AM

I am very outgoing when I am out riding. I just stop and talk to anyone, rider, walker, whatever. i have met some nice people that way. Just speak out. Next time you see riders going down your street, even if you are on foot, walk out, hail them and introduce yourself. most horse people just love meeting other hrose people. I do.

Thunderspark 04-10-2013 02:15 AM

when we first moved out here, got horses.......I didn't know any of the others who ride around here, I did approach some ladies and have gotten to know them quite well, we've been here 12 yrs. now so it seems all the new ones with horses want to get to know us because we know the trails close by and trailer our horses out to trails.......you are going to have to make the move, like ^^^^ horse people love to meet new horsey people to ride with....

OliviaMyee 04-10-2013 05:13 AM

Organise a trail riding club !

wetrain17 04-10-2013 10:18 AM

I would start looking to see if there is already a riding club or two in your area. Also, go to the local, fun shows and just talk to people.

EmsTNWalkers 04-10-2013 04:56 PM

You should totally post a CL ad

Haileyyy 04-10-2013 05:28 PM

I second talking to someone you see riding, even though I am a shy person if someone asks me about my horse I can't shut up! Ask questions about their horses and maybe something can sprout from there. Also if you have a reliable horse, see if any of your friends will want to learn how to ride. Even if they aren't as serious as you are it can still be fun to ride with someone.

I can relate to you, quite a few of my neighbors have horses but I am at a weird age to ride with any of them. I don't want to ride with someone's kids alone, and the older people in my neighborhood wouldn't ride with me because I am 17 and the teenager stereotypes. Before we moved I always had someone to ride with because we boarded, but I prefer having my arena to myself.

toto 04-12-2013 06:52 PM

Oh trust me-- if i could get out to where they are im gonna talk their ear off.. maybe they hear me talkin to my horse when i ride and now think im crazy? I wont lie-- ive been told i talk too much on many occasions, lol. :-P

The people on foot ive talked to usually just holler at me 'i love your horse' or Tell me they think my horse is pretty orsomethin like that, lol.. Should i go over there and talk? I usually just say 'thank you' with a smile and ride on.

My mare-- she is real particular about people-- funny since shes such a doll baby.. she isnt as broke as people think she is-- i ride her a lot bareback and with a halter or maybe a shanked bit so people think shes 'bombproof' or 'deadbroke' and she isnt even close to that..:-o

Once when these 2 women come up to talk to me once she pawed at them! I had to jump down and stand in front of her so she didnt try it again.. im kinda nervous that shell do it to someone else?:oops:

..that was the first time ive ever seen her do that to someone and a few of the neighbors have come up to pet her and she likes kids.. maybe those women were evil and she sensed it? Lol. :-P

I know when dogs read their owners body language and the human doesnt like--say the repair man-- the dog will act aggressive towards the repair man.. i kinda was like 'what do they want now' in my head.. could my mare have picked that up with me on her back or maybe she had her own reasons? Lol. I have no idea.