The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Western Saddle Fit ? w/pic (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/western-saddle-fit-w-pic-171961/)

tylerangle1990 04-10-2013 12:44 AM

Western Saddle Fit ? w/pic

1 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired this saddle and decided to try it on my mare. She seems to like it but I'm wondering if it's just a bit too long for her somewhat short back. What do you all think?

Once it warms up again around here I will go back out and spend some more time looking it over and stuff. It does sit nice and balanced, good up around the withers...the only thing that worries me is the length.

tinyliny 04-10-2013 12:59 AM

Well, it looks ok. Would be easier to see if the photo was from the side, not the rear-ish. Looks like a nice saddle.

Your mare is cute. Her front hooves look like maybe the heel is a bit run under.

SouthernTrails 04-10-2013 06:08 AM

Length of that Saddle is fine, a rounded pad might be in order

SorrelHorse 04-10-2013 06:17 AM

From this angle is looks fine, but for truly accurate critique we would need pictures without the pad, from either side, and clear close ups of the shoulder and how it sits on the whithers. I don't think it's too long.

Saddlebag 04-10-2013 08:16 AM

Does anyone else have to wait a minute or more for a pic to download?

Saddlebag 04-10-2013 08:25 AM

Finally, a pic. two minutes. The weight bearing surface should never extend beyond the last true rib. That pad may rub your horse's hips raw. I agree with Tiny about the front hooves.

Casey02 04-10-2013 08:27 AM

It looks nice, however...No one is there to run their hand under the saddle and run their hand through the shoulder area, to check for pinching or bridging

tylerangle1990 04-10-2013 01:23 PM

I should have some other pictures somewhere of the saddle on her more from the side. I am going to find a new farrier I think because I don't like the way her hooves look either. Other than the length which I'm concerned about it seems to fit pretty well. I rode for a little bit and the sweat marks looked pretty even and the spine area was nice and dry. I will also note that she is only 5 so she may grow some yet too. I have a smaller barrel type saddle that I can use on her but I like this one better to ride that's why I ask. Also my rounded barrel type blanket seems to be a but short on the tail end and doesn't fully cover where the back of the skirt is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Casey02 04-11-2013 04:41 PM

Side note... I would loosen that throat latch, it looks awfully tight. You should be able to fit a few fingers in there horizontally. If you ask him to bend, it will tighten. Just something to keep in mind!

tylerangle1990 04-11-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey02 (Post 2198345)
Side note... I would loosen that throat latch, it looks awfully tight. You should be able to fit a few fingers in there horizontally. If you ask him to bend, it will tighten. Just something to keep in mind!

It's actually not NEARLY as tight as it looks in this picture. I will agree that it does look tight in the pic though
Posted via Mobile Device