The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stolen Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/stolen-horses/)
-   -   Horse Illegaly Sold. (http://www.horseforum.com/stolen-horses/horse-illegaly-sold-172073/)

WelcomeMyWelsh 04-10-2013 08:15 AM

Horse Illegaly Sold.

My horse Malomar is a black and white paint gelding, I was paying a woman 500$ to take care of him while I was in the hospital. When I called yesterday to finally move him home. She had said that she sold him and he is gone. I demanded the name and phone number and she said "No, It was done in private." My boyfriend contacted the police and they said they would look around. I have all of his papers. If I find him, Can I get him back? I need my horse.. That isn't right that she sold him. He's too good of a horse and I have no idea what they're doing to him. He must be so scared.

LoveMyDrummerBoy 04-10-2013 08:49 AM

Unfortunately, where I live, whoever has the horse in their care is the owner, and the police will do very little, because the papers do not mean very much. It is risky to get into a situation like this, because this can happen. Did you write a contract when she took him? Did the contract state she was not allowed to sell him? If she signed something like that, it will help you. This is why well-defined contracts are so important.

WelcomeMyWelsh 04-10-2013 08:52 AM

Yes, I have many copies of this contract. Stating she cannot sell, lease, train, drive, or ride him without my permission. Which she most definately did NOT have my permission. I have all sorts of papers, and a contract. I made sure there wasnt a way anything could happen to him. And she disreguarded my contract.

DancingArabian 04-10-2013 08:56 AM

Call a lawyer. It might spook her into talking.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoveMyDrummerBoy 04-10-2013 08:57 AM

Then you have a leg to stand on. I would call an attorney, see if they have any advice for you, and start looking for the horse. Also, I would charge the person you sold him to.

WelcomeMyWelsh 04-10-2013 08:59 AM

I didn't sell him to anyone. He is my horse. They sold him without my permission. If I find the woman, I am not going to be friendly. This is unacceptable. That woman (who I was paying to care for him) should be kissing my feet. My boyfriend and I saved her life.

Speed Racer 04-10-2013 09:02 AM

Don't you know where she lives? If you left your horse in her care, you should know how to find her.

Do not attempt to assault her, at that will only lead to charges against you.

Contact a lawyer versed in civil matters, show him all the signed contracts and any other correspondence, and go from there.

WelcomeMyWelsh 04-10-2013 09:05 AM

I would never hit her. She's 65 years old. I do know where she lives. My horse ISNT there anymore. She SOLD him to a woman I dont know. And wont give me any info on it. So I cant just walk down the road and be like "Hi, You have my stolen horse. Give it back." I dont know where my horse is.

Speed Racer 04-10-2013 09:12 AM

Your anger is misplaced. I seriously doubt the person to whom she sold the horse knows that they paid for a stolen animal. There are two victims in this, not just you. The woman who paid good money for a horse she thinks she legally owns is the other.

Somebody is going to be heartbroken, no matter the outcome. Your anger should be directed at the woman who sold your horse illegally, not the woman who unknowingly bought a stolen animal. She'll be out her money and what she thought is her horse if you win your court case.

WelcomeMyWelsh 04-10-2013 09:16 AM

I know. I feel really bad. But my question is, Why didnt she ask for papers? If I was buying the horse and they didn't have papers that would be a red flag to me. The woman who sold her in the first place was very rude. Swearing at me. All that.