The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I need a training scedual HELP!?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-need-training-scedual-help-17214/)

HorsesAreForever 11-08-2008 07:43 PM

I need a training scedual HELP!?!?!

okie I've decided I really need to start getting down on chances training! So far this is what I've got in mind but I need some tips on how to put this into action..

No more jumping. Only ground poles for the next few months

Work on W.T.C get it down SOLID before even starting to jump again

Try and get her canter nice nice slow and controled. have no idea how to do that.. besides half hault and circles but if i use half halts she completely stops

Work on GROUND MANNERS!!! Get her to stop using her mouth / teeth on me and my clothes.

I need a lot of tips im heading out there tomorrow. Im not gonna do any more trick stuff or AND still she starts behaving correctly.

i cannot send her to a trainer because we are tight on money.

I also dont want to use to much hitting tactics...

HELP!??!?! I need some tips before tomorrow :] I want serious replies I dont want anyone saying get a trainer or sell her ect ect

Connemara93 11-08-2008 09:23 PM

Ok, I say go right back down to basics. Work on a lot of transitions and make them perfect. Ensure that her downwards transitions are smooth and that she doesn't just "fall" from one gait to the next. And make sure she still keeps her impulsion the whole way through. Make your upwards transitions crisp, and make sure she is moving right off your leg as soon as you give the aid.

Then work on all three gaits seperately. Make sure the walk is energetic and purposeful, and don't let her hang her head or get lazy. Make the trot springy and lively - make sure she is tracking up and giving you a proper working trot by getting someone to watch you for 5 minutes and make sure that her hind hooves are stepping in the footprint of her front hooves. Then do some canter work keeping regularity of the strides - either letting her stretch out and loosen her muscles, or keeping her collected and organised.

You could also do some work with circles, serpentines and figure eights, working on her flexion and bend.

Try and practice your half halts more to help with the canter. If she is slowing down when you perform a half halt, make your rein aids smaller (just twiddle the reins between your fingers) and drive her on with your leg. A little tap of the whip might help her while she is learning that a half halt signal is different from a slow down signal.

As for ground manners, you just have to let her know who's boss and be consistent with that. You don't have to be forceful or aggressive, just push her away if she is "nibbling" on you or your clothes until she stops trying, and then give her praise. It takes time and patience, but you have to make sure that you do not let her do that again, or she will not learn, and will just think that sometimes she can get away with it, so she will never stop trying.

Ok I'm going to stop now I think I've said enough :?

Good luck!

HorsesAreForever 11-08-2008 09:37 PM

Thanks sooo much!! Tons of help!! I'll start working on that tomorrow!! If you have ANY more tips to give him id appericiate it!! Ive never really trained a horse before just 'finished' horses! :D!

free_sprtd 11-08-2008 10:20 PM

try no more hand feeding for the nibbling/lipping. When thunder does that, I either flick him by the nostril or pinch his nostril depending on how aggressive he was with it (within the 3 seconds). It usually works pretty well with me. i can't help with rest cuz im not riding yet :( sorry!

HorsesAreForever 11-08-2008 10:26 PM

okie thanks! Yea I mean she is usually very gentle with treats but I think ill cut down or give them in a bowl.

bgood400 11-10-2008 08:44 PM

Lounging her before each ride may help with slowing her canter and it can also help her gain muscle. The more she is worked the easier it should be for her to stay collected.