The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   "Parrot Mouth" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/parrot-mouth-17224/)

brittany 11-08-2008 10:51 PM

"Parrot Mouth"

About how much would it cost for my 1 yr old coming 2 to get braces for her upper jaw so we can try and make her bottom jaw grow to meet her upper jaw???? Please help with any info u may have I wanna do something before it's too late, if we can't afford to get her braces, we'll have to sell her. It's not too terribly bad right now she kinda has a little bit of an overbite, I would also like to know if it might get worse and how fast it will happen. I would call the vet right now and ask but they're not open and a lot of vets are closed tomorrow b/c it's Sunday.

Spyder 11-08-2008 11:11 PM

A minor overbite is not a disasterous but this is a defect that is inherited and if it is severe this mare should not be bred.

brittany 11-08-2008 11:29 PM

thanks:D we originally bought her so I could train her to be my first show horse and had intentions of breeding her but today my mom's friend (our filly's boarded at my mom's friend's house) told us that she had a little overbite and it could possibly be "parrot mouth" and I researched it a little and it said it wouldn't be a good idea to breed her and you and others have said it's not a good idea either so we're not going to breed her and I also found that they toss their heads a lot when you ride them and their teeth grow sharp and have to be rasped....do you think it will get worse or stay the same???

Spyder 11-08-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brittany (Post 184066)
I also found that they toss their heads a lot when you ride them and their teeth grow sharp and have to be rasped....do you think it will get worse or stay the same???

This is not necessarily true as far as the head tossing. Fitting the right bit might be so that would require a little more thought into your choice. I had a severly parrot mouthed mare and no problems at all. They will require a more intensive dental regime and if not severly parrot mouthed will have no trouble grazing.

brittany 11-09-2008 12:11 AM

Thank you so much for the info:D I really appreciate it!!