The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Linda Parelli helmeted, after decades! (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/linda-parelli-helmeted-after-decades-172425/)

Northern 04-10-2013 09:44 PM

Linda Parelli helmeted, after decades!

I'm no longer involved with PNH, but do visit their sites, & lo & behold, the statement, "I don't believe a helmet will keep me safe!" has recently been replaced with latest videos of LP sporting one!

Inquiring minds wish to know, "Why?"! Is it mere fashion or has she thought better of the safety advantage?

Anyone "in the loop" who knows what caused the formerly most famous female helmetless rider to go helmeted?

amberly 04-10-2013 10:02 PM

Why does it really matter though? I mean, I never wear a helmet. But now I am wearing one. NO real reason, but I just do now. Maybe that's her case?

Northern 04-10-2013 10:39 PM

It matters because she's a professional/earns $ telling people how to be safe with/ride horses, moreover, she has a cultic following (those people will emulate her & will now all ride helmeted, as well.)

Because she's a professional, inquiring minds want to know what decided her to change her mind on helmets, rather than wonder why some backyard horse owner decided to don a helmet. Also, with her devotees who emulate rather than think for themselves, it's interesting to me to see how this decision will affect them to likewise do an about-face. It's interesting, too, because LP knows that what she does will be copied, so she undoubtedly bears this in mind when changing a major part of her practice, which category donning a helmet falls under (slews of threads on PNH helmet issue).

Your saying that you now wear a helmet "for no real reason" isn't true: there's a reason(s), although you may not be in touch with it/them.

Phly 04-10-2013 10:55 PM

Could be as simple as a marketing issue? Possibly a endorsement by a certain company? In other words, money motivated.
Lets be honest, that's the main goal, to make money. Just a thought....,
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 04-11-2013 12:42 AM

I have to laugh at this...
I do not follow Parelli, flipping through channels on a rainy morning I came across a Parelli show of sorts. The short minute I watched, an assistant was working one of Lindas horses and the horse attepted to kick the girl. They both giggled and Linda comments how the horse is just feeling good.

Maybe she realized her methods don't work as well as she thought and the helmet might be handy...
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 04-11-2013 12:44 AM

Wonder when the new Parelli-endorsed, ridiculously expensive helmet goes on the market....

waresbear 04-11-2013 02:07 AM

Yep, exactly what I was thinking, must be a new Parelli helmet to flog.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 04-11-2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 2192905)
I have to laugh at this...
I do not follow Parelli, flipping through channels on a rainy morning I came across a Parelli show of sorts. The short minute I watched, an assistant was working one of Lindas horses and the horse attepted to kick the girl. They both giggled and Linda comments how the horse is just feeling good.

Maybe she realized her methods don't work as well as she thought and the helmet might be handy...
Posted via Mobile Device

See now my horses operate under the assumption that if they kick me they're probably going to get their ass handed to them, feeling good or not.

I wonder why they never kick?

clairegillies 04-11-2013 03:33 AM

I've always worn a riding hat, you call them helmets? is that an American thing? I often ride bareback in and out from the field without one though, so I am inconsistent.

Jolly Badger 04-11-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 2190953)
I'm no longer involved with PNH, but do visit their sites, & lo & behold, the statement, "I don't believe a helmet will keep me safe!" has recently been replaced with latest videos of LP sporting one!

Inquiring minds wish to know, "Why?"! Is it mere fashion or has she thought better of the safety advantage?

Anyone "in the loop" who knows what caused the formerly most famous female helmetless rider to go helmeted?

I don't think they've ever been so set in their ways that they're unwilling to flip-flop for the sake of making more money by selling their stuff.

Maybe a marketing deal with the maker of the helmet?

Or at least they'll start selling sparkly helmet covers with the Parelli logo all over it? Or decals so you can show the world what "Level" you and your horse are?

While I still think it's up to an individual (adult) to wear a helmet, I think some of the remarks the P's used to make about helmets indicating "lack of training" in the horse or "lack of confidence" in your own ability were really irresponsible on their part.

Anyone who pays ANY attention to the world of professional horse sports would know that accidents can happen to any of us, no matter how highly-trained the horse is, no matter how many years you've been riding.

They marketed themselves to very novice horse owners who may or may not have had any previous experience or instruction about horse safety, and people like that often don't know how much they don't know.