The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   thoroughbred or warmblood? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/thoroughbred-warmblood-172473/)

nikyplushbreyer 04-10-2013 11:24 PM

thoroughbred or warmblood?

soooooo i have been looking for some good athletic horse breeds. Because we figured out that my horse is actually 20 somthin years old! but he acts like a 2 yr old stallion.:? any who hampton is a TB but i need a bigger horse so what do you guys suggest (btw this is just for thinking):D

alexischristina 04-10-2013 11:27 PM

Depends on your budget. In my area you won't find a warm blood cross for under 10,000
Posted via Mobile Device

nikyplushbreyer 04-10-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 2192257)
Depends on your budget. In my area you won't find a warm blood cross for under 10,000
Posted via Mobile Device

oh......well........um....... i don't think i can afford that! lol:shock::lol:

Phly 04-10-2013 11:32 PM

You mention a bigger horse, as in heavier built? I've seen some pretty stocky TB around. Also would a foundation QH possibly fit the bill for ya?
Posted via Mobile Device

nikyplushbreyer 04-10-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2192297)
You mention a bigger horse, as in heavier built? I've seen some pretty stocky TB around. Also would a foundation QH possibly fit the bill for ya?
Posted via Mobile Device

well.... hampton is 15.2 but i am 12 and 5.7 lol i was looking more along the lines of a skinner built horse that has all four gaits and can be pretty tall so it takes awhile to grow out of. or never grow out of

donovan 04-10-2013 11:37 PM

warmbloods take a lot of educating IMO and my area noone rides a warmblood until it is 3 then they wont start jumping until 5 or 6

Kayty 04-10-2013 11:38 PM

There are certainly more breeds around than TB's and WB's!!
TB's can get very big and solid as well, they're not all short and fine.
As said above, a true WB (European lines, not draft x hotblood 'fake' WB) will set you back a pretty penny, and they are generally not recommended for young or inexperienced riders.

Why not look at a draft x?

nikyplushbreyer 04-10-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donovan (Post 2192369)
warmbloods take a lot of educating IMO and my area noone rides a warmblood until it is 3 then they wont start jumping until 5 or 6

ok! :-) i was looking for a 10 yr (mums requirements) and i do quit a bit of NH (natural horsemanship)

nikyplushbreyer 04-10-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 2192401)
There are certainly more breeds around than TB's and WB's!!
TB's can get very big and solid as well, they're not all short and fine.
As said above, a true WB (European lines, not draft x hotblood 'fake' WB) will set you back a pretty penny, and they are generally not recommended for young or inexperienced riders.

Why not look at a draft x?

well i am looking for a horse that can jump 3'6 so i don't know if a draft can jump

DraftyAiresMum 04-10-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikyplushbreyer (Post 2192345)
well.... hampton is 15.2 but i am 12 and 5.7 lol i was looking more along the lines of a skinner built horse that has all four gaits and can be pretty tall so it takes awhile to grow out of. or never grow out of

I know a TB who is 17.2hh and built like a tank, so taller TBs are out there.

I do like Kayty's suggestion of a draft cross. Mine is 16.2hh as a coming-4yo and very athletic. Look up YouTube videos of draft crosses jumping. They can be just as athletic as the TBs and WBs.
Posted via Mobile Device