The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What breed is most suitable for a novice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-breed-most-suitable-novice-1725/)

LisaAnn 05-02-2007 07:12 AM

What breed is most suitable for a novice?

I am at present trying to find a suitable horse for part loan/share in the Southend-on-sea, Essex area.
I am a very confident novice but would prefer to hack out alone to brush up on my riding skills.
I would like some advice from more experienced horse owners regarding what age, breed and sex would be most suitable for me.
I look forward to receiving any responses.
Best Wishes Lisa.

showpony@heart 05-02-2007 07:21 AM

Well i think that you shouldn't worry too much about the breed more th exprience personality of the horse, i generally think geldings are less moody than mares and maybe something 12= with experience. Hope this helps!

LisaAnn 05-02-2007 07:38 AM

Many Thanks.

Thankyou for your response and advice.
I would personally prefer a gelding aged between 10-15 and you are very right indeed regarding his personality, this is a crucial factor especially as this will be my first horse.
I require a sensible, bombproof horse only, although I wouldn't mind something alittle flighty as I am not a nervous novice, plus we all like alittle excitment every now and then don't we. :D
Best wishes Lisa.

~*Hunter_Gurlie*~ 05-02-2007 01:37 PM

it seems like your looking for the right thing.Good Luck! :D

LisaAnn 05-02-2007 01:43 PM

Thankyou. This is all so new to me. I am just so excited. But you have to accept your personal abilities and wait patiently for the right horse to come along. I do hope it won't take forever.
Regards Lisa.

~*Hunter_Gurlie*~ 05-02-2007 06:25 PM

You'll find your dreamy perfect horse in no time when you least expect it! :D

LisaAnn 05-03-2007 04:53 AM

I do hope so, it is more difficult than I intially thought. I am a sensible woman whom has waited patiently for so long, I haven't rushed into anything and now find that I have the spare time and finances, but unfortunately I worry that being a firts time owner and novice rider (although confident) puts sharers off- but surely they haven't forgotten that they were in my position once too.
Regards Lisa.

KANSAS_TWISTER 05-04-2007 01:35 AM

how many hands are you look ing at?...my first pony was a exmore but i've always wanted a fjord, good sturdy and some what bomb proof, but my father would never buy me one as a kid because he thought i could never show with ithttp://www.horseforum.com/userpix/57...2004_ubt_1.jpg

LisaAnn 05-04-2007 11:59 AM

Ideally between 15-16 hh, as I am arond 5'10.
What do you feel is the best breed then?
Regards Lisa.

alucard 05-04-2007 01:13 PM

I'd say a 9-12 year old broke quarter horse gelding would do well. But it really goes from horse to horse.. Overall I think that a QH would be more calm than some other breeds but it still goes from horse to horse. Good luck! :)