The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Road Safety Awareness (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/road-safety-awareness-172537/)

clairegillies 04-11-2013 06:22 AM

Road Safety Awareness

I was very upset this morning at a post on facebook concerning an accident involving horses on the road. this is how I feel.
Road Safety awareness. I hope with the lighter days we'll all be able to get out and about riding. Please always be aware that most drivers have no education in how to behave around horses. Most drivers are very courteous, some few are not ...and some few are outright deliberately dangerous.
Please smile and wave, if safe to do so, at any driver who has shown courtesy...I now have bus drivers who cheery wave even before I do and most of the vans on the busy part of the road are very polite and wave too..... even if all they have done is slow down from 60mph to 55........ if you are nice perhaps they will be better next time.
Plese wear lots of 'bright' , bridles, tails, necks, legs can have velcro on brights, reflective and bright sheets over your horse, I love the Parsons Rump as I don't like the flapping sheets. Humans can be decorated too... I know I'd like more than my over-vest, I plan to get a hat band and probably chaps too.

michaelvanessa 04-11-2013 11:00 AM

road safty

hiya claire how are you.
i agree in the road safty it is a must.
i drive carefully on the roads were i am but there was a few horseriders that did not have a care in the world and swung her horse side on with out looking.
all i got was abuse from some kid on a horse i think thay were lucky as i was the only one in the car as i would have dragged him off his horse gave him a clump and talked some sence into him and what his and his frends actions can cause i was horrified deep in side and the anger to there actions was to.
thay had no reflective clothing on them selfs or there horses.
i came to were a golf course was in the village were i am and it was a clear sunny bright day i rounded a courner and my route ahead was clear.
all of a sudden there was a girl on a horse she was 100% had a flouresent green tabard and her horse had a flouresent green quatersheet on to and pastern bands her horse was a bay of some discription.
she was cloked with the green of the golf course my hart jumped in to my mouth and hit the brakes hardenough not to skid or squeal them.
well i had decided to ditch the flouresent green and have kited my horse out in flouresent pink instead, with pink reflective brushing boots, quatersheet, breast plate, flashing tail guard, nose band and reflective rein sleeves as well to match.
i also have a pink flouresent pink body warmer and a flouresent pink flashing tabbard on top and 2 see you lights one on each leg red led lights to the rear red on the side and yellow on the front and on my jocky skull cap a flouresent pink silk with white stars.
i also have an white led head lamp as well so i look like a christmass tree.
i also ride at night as well.
the flouresent pink works well all the cars slow right down well i think thay get a little upset what thay think thay are going to look at comes a bit of a shock well all i can say a broken hart lol KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD.
not me lol.

BigBenLoverforLife 04-11-2013 12:48 PM

I have a question, sorry OP to hijack your thread, I am going on a barn trail ride this weekend and the trail place is less than a mile down the road, so we are going to ride there, the barn has done it for years, so they are comfortable doing it but I am worried about my horse. He hates police sirens, or ambulance sirens, so I was wondering are they required to do what everybody else has to do, and slow down going past horses? Or maybe turn of the sirens until they are out of sight of the horses? I know the chance of someone going by with sirens on it a million to one but still!! :-/

Shoebox 04-11-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBenLoverforLife (Post 2196129)
I have a question, sorry OP to hijack your thread, I am going on a barn trail ride this weekend and the trail place is less than a mile down the road, so we are going to ride there, the barn has done it for years, so they are comfortable doing it but I am worried about my horse. He hates police sirens, or ambulance sirens, so I was wondering are they required to do what everybody else has to do, and slow down going past horses? Or maybe turn of the sirens until they are out of sight of the horses? I know the chance of someone going by with sirens on it a million to one but still!! :-/

An ambulance is NOT going to turn its lights off and slow down for a girl on a horse. Think about it. If a fire truck or an ambulance goes by, either someone's house is ON FIRE or someone is seriously hurt. What's more important... The emergency at hand, or turning off lights and sirens to slow down for a horse?

I'm an EMT, and I can tell you that 100% of the time we will keep going. Not to mention if we've called it a code 3 (lights and sirens) we are NOT in any way going to call back to a code two (required, if you are going to turn the lights and sirens off), and then back up to a code 3, because of someone on a horse - if we're a code 3 we have a mojor medical emergency going down and we need to get to a hospital ASAP. The other time there is lights and sirens is when the ambulance is going out to a call - and just like situation 1, they aren't going to slow down, because their help is immediately and desperately needed. It's YOUR responsibility to make sure your horse is road safe... If you're worried about it, don't take him down. Desensitize him to the sirens first, or you could cause another emergency when the ambulance hits your bolting horse.

...Sorry if that sounded rude. I didn't mean for it to. :p

clairegillies 04-11-2013 04:06 PM

michaelvanessa.... good for you all the lights, I am thinking about lights too.. I saw some that were designed for joggers, they fasten round your arm or leg, also possibly lights on stirrups? I think I've seen them before.

bigbenloverforlife... no they won't slow or turn off, the police have been past me several times recently.. one day they went past in armoured police landrovers!! very odd looking things. perhaps you could lead your horse to the start of the trail and mount up there. I walk the first part of the road here as that's where they drive the fastest, the other roads are not so bad.

shoebox...no I didn't think you were rude, just concerened. as I am. I feel both riders and drivers need educating for safety on the road.

I am going to get in touch with the BHS and see if there are leaflets for drivers I can get, I can leave them at work and people can see them. It just takes some thought.

Claire

clairegillies 04-11-2013 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to add a picture but it wouldn't work, trying again.
no I am not the most elegant rider you will ever see.. lol..

DimSum 04-11-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 2196713)
An ambulance is NOT going to turn its lights off and slow down for a girl on a horse. Think about it. If a fire truck or an ambulance goes by, either someone's house is ON FIRE or someone is seriously hurt. What's more important... The emergency at hand, or turning off lights and sirens to slow down for a horse?

I'm an EMT, and I can tell you that 100% of the time we will keep going. Not to mention if we've called it a code 3 (lights and sirens) we are NOT in any way going to call back to a code two (required, if you are going to turn the lights and sirens off), and then back up to a code 3, because of someone on a horse - if we're a code 3 we have a mojor medical emergency going down and we need to get to a hospital ASAP. The other time there is lights and sirens is when the ambulance is going out to a call - and just like situation 1, they aren't going to slow down, because their help is immediately and desperately needed. It's YOUR responsibility to make sure your horse is road safe... If you're worried about it, don't take him down. Desensitize him to the sirens first, or you could cause another emergency when the ambulance hits your bolting horse.

...Sorry if that sounded rude. I didn't mean for it to. :p

I was in Law Enforcement as well as a paramedic/FF for decades and if you were driving for me and DIDN'T shut down and/or drop speed and drive safely around a group of horses (or pedestrians for that matter) I'd have had your behind for my lunch and it would be a long time until you sat behind the wheel again-and not just from the butt chewing you'd get from epitomizing the Junior Coder Syndrome coupled with tunnel vision.

Code 3 doesn't mean you cause an accident on the way to the accident and if in fact you check your agency's policies I will bet you there isn't a one that says "GO B*LLS OUT NO MATTER WHAT". I can bet is says the same as your State Statute...you drive only as fast as SAFETY allows-and then 10 miles over the limit max. Another little tidbit for ya-if you don't drive safely and within your agency's policies and cause a wreck guess what? You can (and should be held) personally liable. Bottom line, you aren't going to save anyone if you get in a wreck on the way...ask me how I know :lol:

/end rant, I return the thread back to it's regularly scheduled programming.

Shoebox 04-11-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimSum (Post 2199041)
I was in Law Enforcement as well as a paramedic/FF for decades and if you were driving for me and DIDN'T shut down and/or drop speed and drive safely around a group of horses (or pedestrians for that matter) I'd have had your behind for my lunch and it would be a long time until you sat behind the wheel again-and not just from the butt chewing you'd get from epitomizing the Junior Coder Syndrome coupled with tunnel vision.

Code 3 doesn't mean you cause an accident on the way to the accident and if in fact you check your agency's policies I will bet you there isn't a one that says "GO B*LLS OUT NO MATTER WHAT". I can bet is says the same as your State Statute...you drive only as fast as SAFETY allows-and then 10 miles over the limit max. Another little tidbit for ya-if you don't drive safely and within your agency's policies and cause a wreck guess what? You can (and should be held) personally liable. Bottom line, you aren't going to save anyone if you get in a wreck on the way...ask me how I know :lol:

/end rant, I return the thread back to it's regularly scheduled programming.

Mmm, we live in different areas. :p I'm not saying we go full speed ahead no matter what.. that would be dumb! Of course we move over. Even slow down. But we were specifically told that we don't shut down lights and sirens, ever, unless the patient is no longer critical. It was a huge emphasis, and I believe horses were lumped in with bikers. Sorry if I made it sound like NO SLOWING DOWN EVAR :p I didn't mean to. But at least where I'm at, we wont turn off sirens or lights (but will slow down and move over... sorry if i didn't he that across)
Posted via Mobile Device

DimSum 04-11-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 2199169)
Mmm, we live in different areas. :p I'm not saying we go full speed ahead no matter what.. that would be dumb! Of course we move over. Even slow down. But we were specifically told that we don't shut down lights and sirens, ever, unless the patient is no longer critical. It was a huge emphasis, and I believe horses were lumped in with bikers. Sorry if I made it sound like NO SLOWING DOWN EVAR :p I didn't mean to. But at least where I'm at, we wont turn off sirens or lights (but will slow down and move over... sorry if i didn't he that across)
Posted via Mobile Device

Then your agency's policy is in direct conflict with your State Statutes, and a huge liability bomb waiting to drop.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/sfm/pro...VehicleOps.pdf

Specifically this paragraph:

This provision does not relieve the driver of an authorized emergencyvehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of persons usingthe street, nor does it protect the driver of an authorized emergency vehiclefrom the consequence of a reckless disregard of the safety of others.

And the other thing...I think you are being a little too literal in terms of shutting down-after all, how much time will you loose if you slow and shut it down until you safely pass? What, 30-40 seconds? Compare that minimal loss of time to the delay that happens when you wreck it-or cause another car/horse/whatever to wreck it. Been there, done that, bought the suspension and the guilt.

DimSum 04-11-2013 06:08 PM

:oops: sorry to the OP for the gratuitous threadjacking...