The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Products for a thicker, longer tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/products-thicker-longer-tail-172569/)

emmasacha 04-11-2013 08:38 AM

Products for a thicker, longer tail

I have recently bought a cob and she has really thick mane hair and lots of feathers. Her tail is real thin though, not sure if thats how it is or if its been rubbed or brushed out by previous owners.horses.
Anyway my question is, what products are good for encouraging hair growth?
At the minute I'm using pig oil on it and it seems to be helping a bit. I have heard shapeleys original mtg is good but its hard to get hold of in the UK.
Any suggestions?
Anyone got before and after pics?

Here's a pic of Shoop's tail...the challenge is to get it thicker and longer!

This is the day that we bought her...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...56520774_n.jpg

And this is after a couple of weeks...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...39423199_n.jpg

bhorselover 04-11-2013 12:45 PM

Mane & Tail shampoo and MTG

franknbeans 04-11-2013 02:39 PM

I use this EVERY time I brush it. No silicone to dry it out, and smells good, unlike MTG. Also very cost effective.
Hair Moisturizer - Shine & Condition from SmartPak Equine

Found out about it at a reining barn, and if you know what their manes and tails generally look like.......:-)

michaelvanessa 04-11-2013 03:20 PM

cobs tail

has your cobs tail been cliped out.
we cliped ours out and his mane and leting it grow.
when we got him his tail was thin and matted but he has a tail and a half growing now and his mane is starting to lay over.
i use absabine i think i have spelt it right and there shampoo super poo as i have a gray pony as well.
just cut it so its about just below the hock and it should grow through.

beverleyy 04-11-2013 09:01 PM

I use the vet wrap method on both my mares, plus wash/condition each time I redo the wrap (probably every 6-12 weeks). After it's washed and dried I put MTG in, then wrap. Occasionally I'll throw some mane & tail moisturizing stuff in there. My pony started with her tail right at her hip before where her leg actually starts, a whispy little thing. ~6 months later it's THICK and nearly to her fetlocks.

vet wrap method

you can find MTG online, not sure about shipping charges, but I am sure there's other websites that carry it cheaper
Shapley's Original M-T-G - First Aid Supplies from SmartPak Equine

sewsmarty 04-11-2013 10:06 PM

Farriers formula

I feed farriers formula just for my horses hair...it makes it noticeably thicker...I use the regular not double strength...it is awesome plus helps their feet a lot....

franknbeans 04-12-2013 05:51 AM

Vet wrap is great-IN THE WINTER, and I will not ride mine with it. I have geldings, and they are do not look kindly to a vet wrapped bundle of tail hitting them between the legs with every stride. Plus, they need their tail for flies in summer.

ChelseaNoyon 04-13-2013 05:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree with franknbeans, not a big fan of vet wrap myself (my horses really aren't either). And they NEED their tails in the summer.
I personally swear by my method of braiding every winter, all winter long. I find the time when they wreck their tail most is in the winter (from mud, wet, etc). I also use a detangler every time I brush them. I normally use showsheen since it's pretty cheap when buying in bulk and you need very little of it. I also swear by the Oster mane & tail brush. Buy one if you don't already use one. They are super effective in getting rid of tangles and pull out very little hair, if any. I also don't wash unless absolutely necessary. I find shampoo strips the hairs of their natural oils and makes them more brittle, causing more breakage. I only wash before a show or major event, or if their tails are exceptionally dirty in the winter. All three of my horses have beautiful, thick tails. One of them had a pretty average tail when we got her, quite broken at the ends and thinning. After a while with me her tail is now one of the first things people comment about her and it's only getting thicker. I can hardly wrap my hand around it it's so thick and, after leaving it in a braid for this last winter, I literally had to take 6 inches off and it still touched the ground. I've also never used a growth product, except fresh ground flax seeds which are high in omega-3's and help hair quality.

These are just some of my opinions. Good luck with your mare, I think time will make all the difference! (And sorry for my long post, I like to talk!)

I also attached some before and after pics since you asked for some (they're the best I could crop up from what I have).

franknbeans 04-13-2013 05:58 AM

Mine are braided and vet rapped all winter too, it really does help, and yes-that is the perfect brush, and a MUST for every grooming kit, IMO. Showsheen has silicone, though, so that will tend to dry it out......beautiful tail tho! About the same as my guys-just a different color. I just took it out for spring and had to cut it, which I always have a tough time with, but, better to cut than to step on.

ChelseaNoyon 04-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 2215313)
Mine are braided and vet rapped all winter too, it really does help, and yes-that is the perfect brush, and a MUST for every grooming kit, IMO. Showsheen has silicone, though, so that will tend to dry it out......beautiful tail tho! About the same as my guys-just a different color. I just took it out for spring and had to cut it, which I always have a tough time with, but, better to cut than to step on.

Yeah, I suppose that is one thing to consider, the showsheen drying out the hair if their tail's already brittle... I hear vetrolin may be a good alternative but I've never tried it. I've never had a problem, I don't brush their tails so often to dry them out but if your're in the heavy show season it just might do that... I had a big problem with cutting her tail off, it was beautiful dragging the ground!