The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Looking for property vent (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/looking-property-vent-17267/)

Joshie 11-09-2008 08:27 PM

Looking for property vent

OK, we're not really, really looking for a new home. We're kind of looking for a new home. That's how we found our current home though.

We've been going to open houses for a couple of months. We have a beautiful home. It's huge and our lot is beautiful. We have about 2 1/2 acres but we live in a neighborhood. We can't have fences or horses. We live in a bedroom community. It's Yuppie Heaven. I don't need that anymore. While I love my home it's care is stressful (because I can't do it anymore).

My health has declined over the last few years and I don't think I'm going to be able to work until I'm 65. There are some things going on with my health now that may require me to go on disability sooner rather than later.

We've been looking at ranches (I don't like ranches but my mobility has been declining). Ranches with acreage are just WAY overpriced. There are houses that have been for sale for long before the market tanked. We saw a house today that had a great layout but every single floor and light fixture needs to be replaced (very 1980s, but built in '95). The It would need additional clean fill because the grading leaves a lot to be desired. It's a small acreage (5 1/4) and flat. It's in a rural subdivision with restrictions. Horses are allowed but no other livestock. It's got a small barn but no fencing. It looks like a converted cornfield. It would be a fine place since we could have a couple of horses and the land would be easy to care for. But it's not anything to write home about.

The thing is...if this house was in perfect condition I think it'd be best priced at at least $70,000 less than they are asking. So, as is, the place is at least $100,000 more than what it's worth.

Sorry for the very long vent. I just would love to be able to purchase a house with land for the horse (and another?) so we don't have to board. I'd also like to have a smaller house that's easier to maintain. For all this, I'd like to spend less than we'd get for our house so we can be debt-free just in case I am no longer able to work.

I wish it wasn't so expensive to build.

Angel_Leaguer 11-11-2008 10:46 AM

Sorry to hear about your health... Im only 22 and im afraid that I will never be able to own my little hobby farm that I badly want. it is very expensive to buy a decent house with acreage, even in this house market. I hope you find something soon that fullfills all of you needs

kickshaw 11-12-2008 10:11 PM

keep your chin up - it just means that one wasn't meant to be. There is something out there for you!