The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Would you move over the hay quality? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/would-you-move-over-hay-quality-172697/)

poppy1356 04-11-2013 11:35 AM

Would you move over the hay quality?

So just wondering what everyone else would do with this? If your barn had so-so hay, with a very slim chance that would change, would you move? Just trying to make sure I'm not being irrational and over reacting about the whole thing.

(Ps, this so-so hay means it costs more out of your pocket because of extra supplementation)

PaintHorseMares 04-11-2013 11:38 AM

Have you had the hay analyzed?
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 04-11-2013 11:57 AM

That's the next step. I'm calling the univeristy today about dropping some off for testing. But it's cut one day, baled the next and delivered the next after that. So there is spotty mold. Not in every bale... and each bale can be completely different looking hay from the next one, all from the same dealer.

Sahara 04-11-2013 12:03 PM

Can you supply your own hay?

poppy1356 04-11-2013 12:12 PM

Unfortunately I could but I wouldn't receive a reduction in board and she isn't paddocked alone so I would be paying for at least one other horse to eat which I just can't afford. Also I would have nowhere to put it as the crappy hay mold would contaminate my good hay.

poppy1356 04-11-2013 12:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures I took a few weeks ago. This is the best looking hay. Most of it has dried crusty leaves (look like dried brown oak leaves but not sure as I haven't found a full one yet) and sticks along with this stemy stuff.

PaintHorseMares 04-11-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 2195985)
Here are pictures I took a few weeks ago. This is the best looking hay. Most of it has dried crusty leaves (look like dried brown oak leaves but not sure as I haven't found a full one yet) and sticks along with this stemy stuff.

What kind of hay is it?
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 04-11-2013 12:50 PM

All anyone knows is that it is local grass hay. That picture is from the squares, the rounds that come from the same place look like ditch hay to me.

Speed Racer 04-11-2013 12:54 PM

I don't know of any hay that doesn't contain a few leaves and sticks. Hay fields are hardly pristine, grass only places. Other things grow in there too, and the farmer generally bales all of it up together.

That hay in those pictures looks pretty decent.

xxdanioo 04-11-2013 12:55 PM

I moved over hay. The BO was brining hay in. My horse would pick through it, only eat some of it. He lost weight/condition. Moved back to the farm for some nice green grass and high quality hay.

The barn im at now does their own hay, and it's much better than the last barn we were at. Horse eats it all!