The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Older gelding - Lameness Issues?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  loosie 
#1 ·
I have a friend that owns an older arab gelding. She was told he was 10 when she got him, but upon vet examination he is 18-25. He was obviously used hard as a young horse, he has large splints on both fronts and numerous other bumps. By the way he acts under saddle I would guess he was used for speed events, and on the ground he acts like he was badly teased at some point. His current owner bought him from a well known "trail riding" outfit, that specializes as a local tourist destination. He was so tired of being yanked on and bounced on that they took him out of the string and were planning to run him through the next auction. He also has a large lump(near the cinch, think 8" across, free moving) and a smaller lump(5") in the throat latch area.

He was checked by the vet last spring, who felt the lumps were benign tumors at the moment, and were too large to remove. other wise he vetted clean, and was given the go ahead to be trail ridden. He had a good summer and fall, did tons of trails and had a blast.

This spring he was being ridden and threw a little tantrum, tried to change direction and fell. He seemed fine, but was given a week off just in case.
after that he was fine, back to normal. It was a month after he fell that he came up slightly lame. Looked like the right front. We figured it was just that he got playing to much in the muddy pasture and pulled something. A week later he looked sound, so he was ridden lightly. Two days after that he looked a little stiff after a light ride, and his back was checked. He was mildly reacting to pressure on his withers, a point just before his hips, and mid hip. His saddle has been professionally fitted this year. He was kicked out for a few days, and came in very stiff, and definitely off, although its hard to pinpoint where.

he now has an appointment for a vet check and acupuncture, in a week.

At his age I hate to see anything go wrong. Any ideas of what it could be?

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.