The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Omega's BABY-2-B thread (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/omegas-baby-2-b-thread-172745/)

scubadreams 04-11-2013 12:26 PM

Omega's BABY-2-B thread

2 Attachment(s)
Well, a last there is ANOTHER mare that is in foal to add to this crazy mare mix Here is a little about her.. "O" is a 14ish yo BLM paint mustang that was bred last year (around May/June) to my stallion Haught before he sadly had to be put down from a very bad leg injury. I know very little about "O" as she was just dropped off at our farm a couple of years ago... she is very anti-social and DOES NOT like to be touch which is a real problem when you are dealing with a baby. She did have a baby previously that she did not take care of and it passed while my boyfriend was at work. So this time we are not taking any chances...

Here are some pictures of "O"

scubadreams 04-11-2013 04:21 PM

Does anybody have any suggestions on getting her use to be touched...because I am at my wits end..

BrieannaKelly 04-11-2013 08:29 PM

She's a very pretty girl. ;-) I wish you the best in a healthy and happy foaling. :-)
Sorry I can not be of any further assistance regarding gentling her. That would have been something I personally would have worked on before breeding her. :-/

oobiedoo 04-11-2013 09:16 PM

You say you've had her a couple of years, has she just been out in pasture with no human contact all this time? Is she the only horse now or is she out with other horses? What have you tried with her? If you have a smaller paddock or can fence off a smaller area to keep her in by herself and then just spend lots of time in with her, you don't have to try to touch her right away just talk to her while you water or clean or just sit on the ground talking to her. Get up and down, walk around the area and she will get used to you being there. When she's no longer upset with you being in her space the try some goodies, apples,carrots store bought treats whatever she'll take a liking to and try babysteps in a touch when she's taking treats with trust. It can't be rushed, you need to spend some serious time with her. Lots of time and patience. Take a whip in with you if you need to and let her know you wont tolerate any kicking or charging but otherwise just be there until she accepts your company. She is a pretty mare and at least needs to have ground manners to be used for anything more than a lawnmower. Good luck and remember lots of time,like daily and patience.

scubadreams 04-11-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oobiedoo (Post 2201321)
You say you've had her a couple of years, has she just been out in pasture with no human contact all this time? Is she the only horse now or is she out with other horses? What have you tried with her? If you have a smaller paddock or can fence off a smaller area to keep her in by herself and then just spend lots of time in with her, you don't have to try to touch her right away just talk to her while you water or clean or just sit on the ground talking to her. Get up and down, walk around the area and she will get used to you being there. When she's no longer upset with you being in her space the try some goodies, apples,carrots store bought treats whatever she'll take a liking to and try babysteps in a touch when she's taking treats with trust. It can't be rushed, you need to spend some serious time with her. Lots of time and patience. Take a whip in with you if you need to and let her know you wont tolerate any kicking or charging but otherwise just be there until she accepts your company. She is a pretty mare and at least needs to have ground manners to be used for anything more than a lawnmower. Good luck and remember lots of time,like daily and patience.

I have been the only one that has been able to ride her since we got her. I know I should have worked more with her before but, I really have not due to having cancer and dealing with chemo. My really big problem is I know nothing of what happened to her in the past ...

NdAppy 04-12-2013 09:30 AM

It doesn't matter at this point what happened in the past. You start from scratch like she knows nothing and go from there. Tip toeing around and/or focusing solely on past issues just makes them worse instead of resolving them.

scubadreams 04-14-2013 09:33 AM

Well yesterday we thought she was going to have her baby as she was laying down in the field...alast no baby yet. She is getting to be better with being touched because my bf has been working with her every day.

anniegirl 04-14-2013 01:07 PM

She is very pretty!!!! hopefully you can bring her around more...or you might have your hands full when the baby arrives...if she wont let you touch her now...imagine when she has a foal to protect...eek!!

Cacowgirl 04-14-2013 01:41 PM

You said you couldn't touch her, but then you said you have ridden her? A bit confusing!

scubadreams 04-14-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 2227385)
You said you couldn't touch her, but then you said you have ridden her? A bit confusing!

Let me preface when we first got her my bf was told that the previous owner had been bucked off of her, so I wanted to see if she would indeed do anything with me being on her...so I rode her (actually it was I was on her back and she was being led down the driveway by my bf), because I did not want to get hurt (I have cancer) and it took over an hour to get a bridle on her. There are days that she is better than others...but my bf has been trying to get her more use to being touch on her tummy, her tail area (hoo haa), and her ta-ta's. She is very good with the farrier and has no problems...