The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Clydesdale with Thrush what to use in wet area (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/clydesdale-thrush-what-use-wet-area-172801/)

Cinm 04-11-2013 02:17 PM

Clydesdale with Thrush what to use in wet area

I have a Clydesdale and she has thrush I am on the east coast and everything is melting in the pen so lots of hay and muck but I cleaned everyday down to the ice and then it melts again.she goes in at night into a clean stall and it stays dry as she holds her pee all night.The thrush is beside the v of the hoof about an inch and half wide and inch deep.Pick and clean her feet 2 times a day and been washing it with bleach and water once a day.I have been using No thrush powder have always used this but she has never had it there or that big and doesn't seem to be working.Her fit were trimmed 6 weeks ago.I need something else I have access to everything or if I have to order it I will.What product do you recommend I use should I keep using the bleach and water?

egrogan 04-11-2013 02:22 PM

You will get a lot of opinions about thrush on here, but I have personally had the best luck with "Pete's Goo." These instructions are clear and accurate: Equine Thrush Treatment Tips & Pete?s Goo | Soulful Equine?

Obviously, the environment is your biggest enemy right now, and you need to do what you can to keep the pen cleaned.

Cruiser 04-11-2013 02:23 PM

I like mixing triple antibiotic cream with athletes foot cream, cleared a really bad case in my mare quickly. Mix 50/50.

Cinm 04-11-2013 03:08 PM

What is triple antibiotic cream and where do you get it from?Should i continue cleaning with bleach and water and I only cleaned the surface should I really pic at it>?

Cruiser 04-11-2013 03:14 PM

Go to a human drug store, usually right next to Polysporin, but get the no name or store brand it's cheaper. It's the same thing. You can add diaper rash cream to add some stick to it too.

I would stop the bleach and water. I usually take a really stiff scrub brush and scrub dry and pick out deep as I can with a hoof pick. Than fill up the cracks and holes with the cream with a 10cc syringe.

egrogan 04-11-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinm (Post 2197041)
What is triple antibiotic cream and where do you get it from?Should i continue cleaning with bleach and water and I only cleaned the surface should I really pic at it>?

Cin, it's the same thing I mentioned. Some people call that 50/50 mixture "Pete's Goo" because of a farrier that recommends it.

If you follow the link I posted, it will tell you exactly what kind of triple antibiotic cream and athlete's foot cream to buy (it specifies the % of the primary active ingredient). I buy the generic brand at CVS, have heard other people mention buying the generic at Walmart.

You might typically call the triple antibiotic cream by brand names like Neosporin or Bacitracin. All the same thing.

With the athlete's foot cream, you need one with a particular active ingredient (1% Clotrimazole)-you might know that by brand name Lotrimin.

Cinm 04-11-2013 03:41 PM

thanks everyone how many times should I do this once a day ?.Should i pick out the old goo and add more the next time?

Cruiser 04-11-2013 04:43 PM

Once a day is fine, I do every other day because I'm lazy, and still had results.

The goo will wash/wear off between applying, because pick out and clean each time to be effective.

One thing to remember if her feet get long or have holes, dents and places for thrush to hide no matter the treatment it won't go away. Same with standing in manure, "clean" mud is better than manure and urine (both very acidic).

shaggy 04-11-2013 05:03 PM

using mouth wash will work well too.

verona1016 04-11-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruiser (Post 2197873)
One thing to remember if her feet get long or have holes, dents and places for thrush to hide no matter the treatment it won't go away. Same with standing in manure, "clean" mud is better than manure and urine (both very acidic).

This is a good point. If the frogs are ragged or have soft, squishy parts then use a hoof knife to clean them up so the thrush doesn't have any crevices to hide in. You can ask your farrier to pay special attention to it next time he's out (and show you how to keep it that way yourself!) if you're uncomfortable doing it on your own.