The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

really stupid question about mini horses

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  FeatheredFeet 
#1 ·
A coworker just asked me if I wanted a miniature stallion cause his mom had to get rid of it cause she doesn't want it breeding with her other minis. I have no idea why she just doesn't get him gelded, but I can't take it cause I have a full size mare. But it got me to thinking, is it even possible for a mini to breed a full size horse? Would the foal be viable? What would they look like? If someone has seen a mini/full size horse cross and has picures, I would love to see. I keep picturing this little stallion taking running leaps to building a ladder out of tree branches.

#3 ·
Yes it is possible. Where there is a will there is a way... Mares can and will lie down, crouch down, whatever it takes to "help."
Thats what I figured....My coworker looked at me like I was crazy when I said No because I have a full size mare, but I have seen a dachshund inpregnant a 60 lb lab mix before cause he got her when she was lying down. I figure with nature, like you said if there is a will, they will find a way! Another coworker laughted and said thats where we get ponies....SMH

#19 ·
The ones that act like snots because of being treated like pets? those are not good ones to base opinions off of. It would be like someone basing the opinion that all large horses are dangerous and have nasty attitudes based on this clip -

Minis should not be treated any different than a full-sized horse, but unfortunately so many people do because they are small and cute...

#20 ·
The ones that act like snots because of being treated like pets? those are not good ones to base opinions off of. It would be like someone basing the opinion that all large horses are dangerous and have nasty attitudes based on this clip -

Orphan Horse.mpg - YouTube

Minis should not be treated any different than a full-sized horse, but unfortunately so many people do because they are small and cute...
I don't disagree and I have heard minis can be fun, I just haven't ever been around them enough to have that opinion. I like them, I just wouldn't want to own one till I did more research on them. I think they are cute little ******s, but I think there are too many people don't treat them like a horse.
I have seen that video before and that is one dangerous horse. Like the woman says in it, she is going to have to put him down, which she probably did.

#22 ·
A friend of mine tried to keep their mini stallion with a full size mare, didn't go over well. He was consently bitting her legs and pulling her tail trying to get her to go down so he could attempt to breed her. Eventually she started getting mad and kicking him, so they built him a separate pen.
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
I think all knowledgeable horse people, understand that any and all horses, 'can' be dangerous. This includes incredibly well-trained animals.

The problem with Minis, is that there are hundreds and thousands, being bred indiscriminately and owned by people who do indeed treat them as only 'pets' and spoil them. And it IS easy to spoil these little ones. This especially when they are really small and still babies. A friend of mine who is incredibly knowledgeable in Minis, recently had her arm broken, when handling one of her pretty well trained stallions. Little or not, they can still do harm and even when well trained.

The majority of us, will probably not see well trained Minis. Most will be backyard pets with little or no handling, after the owners became bored with them or those dear little pets, started acting up as adults. That, or we see them in auctions for a couple of dollars.

A word about bringing Minis into the house. Well my granddaughter has a Minis who does come into the house to watch TV with the kids. But, he is well trained, knows his manners and is a good boy. He is also gelded and has been shown a lot. At the moment, he really is a pet, just as all our animals should be. He doesn't have to do much these days, except being company for other animals on the farm, or for my granddaughters. That said, my daughter has found her front room full of Gypsy Horses at times, when the front door was left open, helping themselves to fruit in the bowl on the coffee table!

Lizzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.