The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Naming Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/naming-help-172937/)

Kati 04-11-2013 04:57 PM

Naming Help!

Well, the call has been made and BO's going to meet this handsome little man. I'm sure he'll bring him home too. He's been on the hunt for a) a palomino and b) a small quarter/large pony that will work for his grandsons (in 7-8 years) and his wife (very petite) and I think this little man is the perfect combination. There's another 'conformation' picture as well, but I don't want to add it as it contains the current owner.
http://images.craigslist.org/3L63M53...286d9e14ec.jpg
^ Last year at 2
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...psed57f974.jpg
^ A week ago at nearly 3. Not exactly a conformation shot, but you can get a general idea.
Right now we have Patriot as a recommendation and I've temporarily dubbed him Viserys in my head for all that blond goodness :) (Game of Thrones obsession, but hopefully he's more sane then the dragon prince! :o)
I'm not going to get a chance to get to know him for another two months, but I'm in charge of the names and I've got to at least give him a barn name before he gets called 'The Pali' for two months! (And the names always stick. We start calling him The Pali, he'll stay The Pali forever!)

Anyway...
Patriot
Viserys (Vis/Viz)
Macklemore (Mac)
Any Others?

Live2Ride15 04-11-2013 10:04 PM

These are not the most creative haha

Leo
Chester
Benny
Percy
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 04-11-2013 10:15 PM

why not just call him "Pal"

especiallly if he will be for children. I assume he'll get plenty of training before he gets handed over to the grand kids. Three is just a baby himself.

If you don't like Pal, how about "Amigo"

JumperForLife 04-11-2013 10:54 PM

Dante
Captain
Sarge
Chief
Champ

...that's all I've got. On another, somewhat related note, how does one go about changing the name of a new horse? I am getting a new horse and I'm not super psyched about his barn name, but that's what I have referring to him as around the barn already...would it be weird to change it now?

WSArabians 04-11-2013 11:21 PM

Jumper, I've changed names before. I don't think horses really know names like a dog does - Leastways, I've never been snubbed by any I've changed names on. LOL

No idea on the names, but I hope he works out for you all. :)

flytobecat 04-11-2013 11:58 PM

If we are going with a friend them, there's
Elmo, Amos, Curly, Chico, Legolas, Robin

3nViixx 04-12-2013 05:22 AM

Chianti
Rayne
River
Calypso

..i can't think of anymore :P

Kati 04-12-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2202113)
why not just call him "Pal"

especiallly if he will be for children. I assume he'll get plenty of training before he gets handed over to the grand kids. Three is just a baby himself.

If you don't like Pal, how about "Amigo"

Haha plenty of training. I think I included in the original post that it will be 7-8 years maybe less depending on him and the boys. Even then we want him to have a bit more get up and go. The boys have a pony they've learned to ride on, this one is for when they are ready for a step up pony/and or are too big for Cotton.

I like Amico (Italian for the win :p) and Legolas (LotR!). Pal is cute too. Reminds me of an overgrown Labrador. Especially with the color :lol:

Stan 04-12-2013 04:04 PM

He has a nice colour and look about him but on the small side for my taste. However you did say who he was for so he fits the requirements.

I would call him (HORSE) help keep his confidence up when he is around the 17 handers.

I have two, a mare Stella 16+ hands and she looks like, and lives up to the expectation the name conjures up.

My second is a young galding 6 yrs and 15-2 hands he is called Bugs. That conjures up in the imagination a horse with personality, and a twinkle in his eye, which he has.

Find the personality of the horse and let that guide you in a name.

A friend of mine has a dog called moose. The dog is smaller than my cats James or Ernie.

So give that little pony a boost, and call him HORSE he will like you for it.

HorseLovinLady 04-13-2013 01:10 AM

As I said in your other thread I like Spirit for a name. ;-)