The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Excellent PP vido (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/excellent-pp-vido-173329/)

Saddlebag 04-12-2013 09:09 AM

Excellent PP vido
 
Just watched this on youtube. Because it isn't a slick marketing video we get to see Pat's skills and enjoy his humor and he can be comical. It's called Pat Parelli Trailer Loading (full video). It was done in 2010 in the UK. He's working with a horse that wants to keep moving and darts all over. Pat shows how in sometimes very small steps how to build the horse's confidence. So set aside an hour and learn from this. I did.

Lockwood 04-12-2013 10:52 AM

Is the link showing up for anyone else?

Saddlebag 04-12-2013 06:18 PM

I'm too dumb to figure out how to post links. You'll have to type it in. Be sure to include (full video) as he also has a short one.

SouthernTrails 04-12-2013 06:35 PM

.

This one?


.

Ian McDonald 04-12-2013 10:20 PM

Excellent trailer loading. You can learn at least as much from the things he -doesn't- say if not more, just by watching what he does and not only the things that he draws your attention to. I particularly liked that bit that starts around 53:25 and am going to be incorporating that into what I do.

Nokotaheaven 04-13-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian McDonald (Post 2212913)
Excellent trailer loading. You can learn at least as much from the things he -doesn't- say if not more, just by watching what he does and not only the things that he draws your attention to. I particularly liked that bit that starts around 53:25 and am going to be incorporating that into what I do.

I like that you said 'You can learn at least as much from the things he -doesn't- say if not more, just by watching what he does and not only the things that he draws your attention to'. Not many people that I know of actually notice the little things he does that he doesn't draw your attention to. And it's just as important, if not more, to pay attention to those little things... because they're what really make the difference

tinyliny 04-13-2013 01:36 PM

That's the thing with him, he spends more time "on air" trying to be funny and talking philosophy than explaining the very small things he does that matter.

I didnt' wathc the whole thing, only the first 10 minutes. He does things, like uses the whip behind himself to move the horse forward. Now, a lot of folks might not know about that, so I would think him explaining that as he worked would be very helpful.

And, sometimes while he is talking , the horse get's more into his space than I think a trainer would allow if they were not focussing their attention on speaking to and entertaining a crowd.

Saddlebag 04-13-2013 01:47 PM

Tiny, do try to watch it in it's entirety. In contrast, I just watched a trailer loading by acoxalaska, and I mean contrast. This is not the way I'd chose in getting a horse to load. This guy more than a few times gives the horse a pretty good lickin with his rope. Southern, that's the one.

Ian McDonald 04-13-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 2215241)
I like that you said 'You can learn at least as much from the things he -doesn't- say if not more, just by watching what he does and not only the things that he draws your attention to'. Not many people that I know of actually notice the little things he does that he doesn't draw your attention to. And it's just as important, if not more, to pay attention to those little things... because they're what really make the difference

Totally. I like to think of learning the behaviors of good horsemen in the same way that a horse learns from other horses in the herd: though imitation. :D

Nokotaheaven 04-13-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian McDonald (Post 2221801)
Totally. I like to think of learning the behaviors of good horsemen in the same way that a horse learns from other horses in the herd: though imitation. :D

Lol yes! And to also watch how horses interact with others, so you know what they'd understand and what they wouldn't. And how to teach them to understand


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0