The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   quarters, paints & appaloosas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/quarters-paints-appaloosas-173537/)

SplashedOvero 04-12-2013 02:33 PM

quarters, paints & appaloosas?

I just sold my horse. I plan on getting somthing more laid back that I can barrel race.
I want a quarter horse, paint or possibly an appaloosa. I would like some opinions on which bloodlines of these three breeds would be best for a barrel racer. I know there is probably a ton but id just like an idea so I know which bloodlines to look for in a good barrel racer. I know some people dont care and would try to sell me a horse bred more for reining or anything other than barrel racing juat to make a quick buck. I plan on taking someone with lots of horse knowledge with me id just like to have an idea myself

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueSpark 04-12-2013 02:56 PM

buy a horse that is successful as a barrel racer already, the only way you can be sure a horse will be good at something is to buy one that's already successful.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't often find 'barrel horse' and 'laid back' describing the same animal.

SplashedOvero 04-12-2013 03:03 PM

I have seen barrel horses that are laid back when being
trail ridden and not barrel racing then have get up and go when asked.
I guess thats what I mean. And just bc a horse has barrel raced and won
Doesnt mean it was bred for that if im going to pay a good bit on a horse
I want it to have the right conformation for the job.
I dont want a horse not bred for that that has the wrong conformation thats going to
Work against the horse and possibly cause issues later on. I know breeding is not everything but I do know making sure the horse has the proper conformation for what you want it
To do helps alot. Dont get me wrong im not just wanting a horse with great bloodlines just bc I can. I just want to get something that bred for it so I have more of a chance of the horse enjoying it and being good
Posted via Mobile Device

SplashedOvero 04-12-2013 03:16 PM

Its difficult to word things online and make itcome out the way you would mean it if you were
Saying it. At least it is for me. I always have that problem and then people take it differently and become confused.or I become confused
Posted via Mobile Device

nickers103 04-12-2013 03:21 PM

Dash for Cash is a bloodline that is pretty hot in some barrel racing pedigrees

soenjer55 04-14-2013 01:19 AM

"Barrel racer" and "laid back" should ALWAYS go together. A proper barrel horse should be smart enough to know when to switch on and off.
I'm not really knowledgeable about bloodlines, although I hear the Dash for Cash and Easy Jet lines are supposed to be good for barrels, and the name Firewater Flit comes to mind first when I think of barrel horses...
My sister's mare is a Doc Bar mare (sired by Lena's Playboy), and she's a pretty good mare. From what I see, they seem to be more cowey, but the mind is there. She is definitely athletic and if she had had a proper rider, could have done very well. She's a bit too sensitive for me, but overall calm and a sweet, sweet mare.
I ran barrels on a quarab, if you'd be interested in that. He didn't have any notable breeding, but he was a good little horse. He had plenty of speed, and a pretty good turn on him. Of course, since it's a breed cross you'll have to be pretty picky, but you can't be unhappy with a good quarab :P