The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Are Tennessee Walkers skinny? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/tennessee-walkers-skinny-173553/)

KatieAndZanzibar 04-12-2013 03:12 PM

Are Tennessee Walkers skinny?

My half-Tennessee Walker is quite a skinny horse. My father says when he owned TWHs, they were all pretty skinny. So, I was just wondering, are they naturally skinny or what? Haha, just a random question.

Corporal 04-12-2013 03:35 PM

Nope. I have owned many TWH's and TWH crosses and I owned a TWH that I bought as a 19yo. He was heavy and an easy keeper. He developed Cushings bc of it.
Any horse can be a hard keeper, but TWH's are outcrossed enough that they shouldn't be.

Darrin 04-12-2013 04:57 PM

I would say from personal experience there are more walkers out there on the narrow side than wide (not skinny or fat). Always figured they've been purposely breed that way as a narrow horse is easier to straddle than wide horses. But, the wide ones I've seen have been every bit as wide as a quarter horse.

Lockwood 04-12-2013 05:15 PM

Well I would say their body style would more closely resemble a TB or Warmblood before a stocky QH or Paint, however my TWH would have never been considered skinny nor would any healthy TWH I have ever seen.

Like mentioned above, within the breed there are individual animals that fall to either side of the scale.

Haileyyy 04-12-2013 05:47 PM

I have heard that the old school "plantation" TWH's are thicker but I don't know if that is correct. I've always been a stock breed person so I haven't been around many TWHs.

That being said, my aunt has two and her gelding is very thick, he is as thick as any quarter horse. Her mare is tall and narrow, but not thin. When I rode her it was completely different from my short stocky QH!

equiniphile 04-12-2013 11:51 PM

He was probably referring to the fact that some breeds are notorious for being hard-keepers, but these horses still shouldn't be skinny. They just need more maintenance to keep weight on.

Darrin 04-13-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haileyyy (Post 2209985)
I have heard that the old school "plantation" TWH's are thicker but I don't know if that is correct. I've always been a stock breed person so I haven't been around many TWHs.

That being said, my aunt has two and her gelding is very thick, he is as thick as any quarter horse. Her mare is tall and narrow, but not thin. When I rode her it was completely different from my short stocky QH!

Old school TWH should have thick, heavy bones but still can still be built on the narrow side.

toto 04-13-2013 02:30 AM

Ours are very easy keepers-- not skinny at all.. walkers tend to not have any topline when sitting around in pasture undermuscled-- theyre already a narrow backed horse so they might appear 'skinny'.

Ours are out of the Mery Go Boy lines-- about 14.1 not skinny- very correct straight legs- straight backed-(not down or uphill) our mare is 16 and she stays fat on just orchard grass hay.. very hardy breed of horse.

When did you last worm your horse?

walkinthewalk 04-13-2013 07:35 AM

Ditto the other posters.

I have one TWH that is long/lanky and very athletic. Until he was around ten, he burned up calories standing still and I always had trouble "covering" his hip bones. Now that he's 19, sadly he doesn't have that problem anymore; he needs to lose about 50 pounds:-|

The other two have always looked like QH's and both of them have metabolic issues.

Years ago, I was on a trail ride with my eldest TWH, and somebody asked me how I taught that Quarter Horse to gait:shock:

KatieAndZanzibar 04-13-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinthewalk (Post 2215473)
Ditto the other posters.

I have one TWH that is long/lanky and very athletic. Until he was around ten, he burned up calories standing still and I always had trouble "covering" his hip bones. Now that he's 19, sadly he doesn't have that problem anymore; he needs to lose about 50 pounds:-|

The other two have always looked like QH's and both of them have metabolic issues.

Years ago, I was on a trail ride with my eldest TWH, and somebody asked me how I taught that Quarter Horse to gait:shock:

The first one you described sounds just like my Zanzibar's Lightning Prince! Ah!