The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Fixing my riding problems (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/fixing-my-riding-problems-173569/)

pinkzebraeventerfreak15 04-12-2013 03:55 PM

Fixing my riding problems

Hello all!
At the trot and canter my legs swing and are in chair seat, and I can never sit it like I will bounce. I've just switched horses and my new horse is VERY slender. I'm used to riding slower, calmer, fatter horse and now I have a fast, hyper, skinny horse. So her canter is very racy, her trot to canter transitions are like she's trotting then I ask her to canter and she will just bolt into the canter. Could she just be in heat? She's not always like this. Anyways, since she's racy I can't stop my swinging lower legs because if I try to grip with my calf she will just go. It's usually the same with her trot to. The chair seat may be because of my saddle, as it's a courbette arosa. Any suggestions?

I've been doing stuff to build up my leg muscle as well :)

-pinkzebraeventerfreak15

Eolith 04-12-2013 05:06 PM

Trying to stop yourself from bouncing around by tensing up or trying to stop the leg swinging by gripping with your leg will only achieve the opposite. The most important thing to keep in mind is to relax!! The less tension you have through your body, the less you will bounce. Your body will naturally move with and absorb the motion of the horse. Think about allowing your legs to drape along the sides of the horse... allow the weight of your thigh and your leg to draw your heel down.

Of course, it's one thing to try to tell yourself to "relax" and an entirely different thing to actually do it! Our natural response when we feel as though we are losing control or balance is to tense up, almost like a self-preservation instinct. Try to breathe deeply and release the tension with your breath when you feel yourself tensing up and losing control. Your horse will often respond to the lessening tension and relax more themselves.

I could probably write a whole essay about this. It's difficult to articulate briefly, but I hope I've helped.