The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   new to horses please help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/new-horses-please-help-17357/)

emiliofaraj 11-11-2008 09:07 AM

new to horses please help

4 Attachment(s)
hi my name is emilio and im new to horses and would like some advice on a horse that i am being sold .they tell me he is one year old .im going to post some photos of him .i would realy aprichate the advice thank you

JustDressageIt 11-11-2008 09:44 AM

Please please please keep the horse at a livery or stable where some experienced people can handle him and keep up his feed.
Secondly, why are you buying a 1 year old? If you're new to horses, a broke older horse is the way to go. Youngsters take a LOT OF TRAINING and need a firm hand that knows what they're doing.
Do you plan on starting him yourself?
Are you going to send him to a trainer?
A lot of people think "oh well it's a smaller horse so I can just push it around and it's cute so why would it matter?" which is wrong. Inexperienced horsepeople and young horses are a BAD MIX 99% of the time.
Do you have the time to devote to this horse?
Do you have help with this horse?
Ok, getting off my soapbox.

emiliofaraj 11-11-2008 09:54 AM

yes im planning to send him to a well known horse stable where he will have a trainer. im not planning on doing this myself. in the mean while i am starting to get lessons from the same trainer on some older horses and work my way up.i ride but im no pro so i decided to get some lessons thanks fore the help

Vidaloco 11-11-2008 10:25 AM

He looks very handsome to me. What breed is he?

emiliofaraj 11-11-2008 10:33 AM

they are telling me he is a querter mile paint horse

english_rider144 11-11-2008 11:08 AM

the thing is if your new to horses I wouldnt settle on a 1 year old. I've been around horses for over 6 years and I still need an experianced horse. Hes a beautifull little guy. are you planning on having board, training and lessons? thats the best way to go. Have him trained and you there along side of him to learn whats happening.

FGRanch 11-11-2008 11:16 AM

Yeah he is a yearling. Yeah are they people lunging the horses on gravel?

FGRanch 11-11-2008 11:24 AM

I meant to say why not year...oops.

emiliofaraj 11-11-2008 11:42 AM

no they where just showing him to me

omgpink 11-11-2008 12:02 PM

He's handsome! :]