The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Goat horns & a horse (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/goat-horns-horse-173825/)

LuckyRVT 04-12-2013 10:46 PM

Goat horns & a horse

Probably going to get a goat as a pasture mate for my quater horse. I will be getting a buckling. Any advise on dehorning? Like that it gives me something to grab on to, but also don't want my horse getting torn up. Or the goat getting caught on something. I haven't had a goat personally before but friends have so any advise ill take! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 04-12-2013 10:51 PM

Reckon a goat horn could hurt a horse if it caught the edge somehow?

Would definitely nuter him-- id rather a wether around than a buck-- they can get pretty rowdy.

Are you gonna be keeping the goat stalled with the horse? If not i wouldnt dehorn him.. no point. They make contraptions to keep them from gettin their horns stuck in fences and things.

Phly 04-12-2013 10:54 PM

Our horses lived with a goat for a long time. Never had an issue, horns or otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 04-12-2013 10:59 PM

I've ducted taped a chuck of PVC pipe in between their horns at the tops so they can't get hung up in the fence. I Imagine that would work decent until you figured out if the horns would be a problem or not.

Or you could put those goofy colored pool noodles on them...tee he ;)

xxdanioo 04-12-2013 11:18 PM

Family friend had a goat and horses living together.. he lost both horns, separate incidents, from a horse throwing him around. He had one, then he had none.

Casey02 04-23-2013 09:46 PM

I say a girl on here that put tennis balls on the end of the horns...now goat cant hurt horse haha

Chevaux 04-23-2013 10:37 PM

You should check out Wallaby's member journal thread on Lacey and the goats - she has Atticus in tennis balls (photos present) now and it appears a good fix for all concerned.

Spitfire080905 04-23-2013 10:43 PM

I live with goats. We de-horn every single kid that is born here. They are safer to be de-horned. Neutering will keep him from stinking. They pee on themselves during rut season. If you are going to get one, get it as a baby. It is MUCH harder to de-horn and adult and is not recommended to de-horn an adult. If you get a buckling from a decent breeder they will have already de-horned and neutered the kid.

LuckyRVT 04-24-2013 10:47 AM

Will goats still go into rut when they are castrated? A very small side point, how much do goats really chew on horses tails?
Posted via Mobile Device

Spitfire080905 04-25-2013 08:30 AM

No castrate early and you wont have any issues with the males. Yes they might chew a horses tail. We have 6 babies and they all chew on the mom's beards. They mouth everything. They need special fencing as well. Typical horse fencing wont work. You will need goat and sheep fencing along with electric to keep them in. If you want a great goat, I would get a bottle baby. We do dairy goats so we bottle raise all of our kids. They all come out really friendly and love people. We castrate and de-horn with in the first week of life. If you can't find a baby that is already castrated get a doe. They don't need to be fixed and are just as nice as the buckling.