The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Is this set up good for two horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/set-up-good-two-horses-173833/)

horsecrazygirl13 04-12-2013 11:01 PM

Is this set up good for two horses?

Hi I was wondering if 200x80' paddock would be big enough for two horses to spend the night in and for winter. they would be going out to pasture in the daytime in summer. It's going to be fenced in with hot wire (maybe coated). would a 1 1/2 acre pasture be big enough for two horses to graze in the daytime?

And I was also wondering if fencing in ditches is legal in Manitoba, Canada and is it ok for the horses?
thanks.

Vidaloco 04-12-2013 11:33 PM

I have always gone by the rule of 2 acres per horse for grazing. It will quickly become overgrazed if not managed properly. Can you split it so that they are on half for 30 days then on to the next section for 30 days?
I keep 4 horses on a 2 acre dry lot during the winter. I turn them out for a few hours every day all year on a 7 acre pasture. I plan to split the pasture into 4 equal paddocks and do a 30 day rotation during the grass growing season. Just waiting to win the lottery so I can afford to add the extra fence :wink:
Until then I only turn them out for 3-4 hours a day then back to the dry lot.

waresbear 04-13-2013 12:16 AM

1/2 acre for two horses would be dirt very quickly around here. Your paddock is ok size for limited turnout. Fencing in ditches if the ditch isn't in your property is not legal, also I never heard of anyone digging a post hole in a ditch, seems odd.

horsecrazygirl13 04-13-2013 10:55 AM

I meant they'd have 1.5 acres of pasrure(rotated). Is the paddock big enough for two horses to kick up their heels and run a bit? It's not for grazing. I want to use it as a dry lot and in winter. How big is the average paddock? The ditches are by our yard and I'm not sure if they're ON it. But they have nice grass in summer.

I just found this link:How to Size Your Horse's Paddock? - Smart Horse Keeping
It says if I want my horse to be able to run around, I should have a paddock about 30ft wide and 100 feet long.

Oh I forgot to add: They might also have another paddock (70x100ft) for a "grazing strip" just in case we run out of grass in the pastures so they can graze a few hours a day.

PS. I'm just planning a bit now, but some things might change a bit by summer.

stevenson 04-13-2013 02:26 PM

grazing size depends on your area and pasture. Here for unirrigated grass land you need 5 acres or more per horse. Irrigated it drops down to 1 or 2 acres per horse for grazing. We are hot and dry . 4 " of rain per year is average.
You can put a horse out in a round pen for exercise. It depends on what you want. a 30 x 60 pen will give a horse room to walk, roll, and occassionaly kick up

~*~anebel~*~ 04-13-2013 02:32 PM

A half acre is about what most boarding stables around here use for group turnout - up to 6 horses.

The private facility I'm at right now has 2 acre dry lots for the winter group turnout and quite a few acres of grazing that's rotated during summer. My horse on private turnout has a half acre to himself. I wouldn't do a dry lot less than a half acre, its enough for them to have a good run and I'd say safe for up to 3-4 horses that get along well.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 04-13-2013 02:46 PM

200'x80' is fine as a dry lot for 2 horses. They'll have room to run around. We've put 3 in our 100'x200' ring with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl13 04-13-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 2218057)
200'x80' is fine as a dry lot for 2 horses. They'll have room to run around. We've put 3 in our 100'x200' ring with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool! Thanks!

Vidaloco 04-13-2013 07:01 PM

When I bring in large bales of hay, I put all 4 of mine in a smallish round pen. They all run around like crazy ladies, rolling and doing the bounce. It's plenty of room to run as long as it's in a circle. :lol:

horsecrazygirl13 04-13-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenson (Post 2217929)
grazing size depends on your area and pasture. Here for unirrigated grass land you need 5 acres or more per horse. Irrigated it drops down to 1 or 2 acres per horse for grazing. We are hot and dry . 4 " of rain per year is average.
You can put a horse out in a round pen for exercise. It depends on what you want. a 30 x 60 pen will give a horse room to walk, roll, and occassionaly kick up

We get lots of water in spring. Summer can get a bit dry though. But, we get short sudden downpours now and then.