The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   horse tricks!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-tricks-17388/)

katieandduke 11-11-2008 06:03 PM

horse tricks!!!

i want to teach my horse different tricks..

what tricks can yall think of and which ones do you do?

thanks guys!

Blkjimni 11-11-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katieandduke (Post 186189)
i want to teach my horse different tricks..

what tricks can yall think of and which ones do you do?

thanks guys!

I also want to lear tricks to teach my Arabian filly.
I want to teach her to rear and bow. anyone know how?

SonnyWimps 11-11-2008 09:36 PM

to bow, what I do is I show him the treat, then put it between his front legs. He'll lean down to get the treat and I'll say a cue. After a while he *should* do it on command without me having to hold the treat.

As for rear, I HIGHLY recommend NOT teaching a horse to rear. Once taught it is an EXTREMELY dangerous act and could hurt or kill someone

Ruby Tuesday 11-14-2008 05:10 AM

K&D,

By no means am I a horse pro....I am a semi newb! But here's my $.02

I tought my horse to "kiss"....I would give her the command "kiss", and pull her head to me,, making contact to my chin with her nose. Then I would treat her. Within half an hour, Ruby would 'kiss' me. This has been the TALK of our little town! BUT!!!!!!(disclaimer) when I first taught her this,,,,,she wanted to kiss EVERYONE - if they wanted her to or not. She 'kissed' a friend of mines child and knocked him over. She DIDNT mean to, and was trying to be nice (my pony DOES NOT have a mean hair on her body!) but didn't realize her size compared to him... Long story made short - I had to refine the 'kiss' command to a "gentle" kiss command. In 2 days - she had it. NOW, she can kiss a 2 year old and make him/her laugh.

just a fun trick thought..

sempre_cantando 11-14-2008 07:03 AM

I have taught my mare to fetch, give high fives and shake hands. Its very cute - especially the fetch! lol
That reminds me, she also puts her front feet onto/into what ever you ask... i.e. small mat, old car tyre, strong stool...

Let me know if you'd like me to explain how to teach any of these.

HorsesAreForever 11-14-2008 05:42 PM

My mare is now learning leg lifts soon be be coorperated into the spanish walk, she puts her foot on on foot stool and she smiles on command 2 :)

katieandduke 11-14-2008 06:44 PM

all are great and s.c. i would love it if you could explain the fetch one.. the shakes i dont want to do cuz he already paws the ground and i dont want him to think he can raise his leg anytime ;) of course, duke would do that so a now to that. but it would be cool if he could fetch.. thanks for all of yalls help!!

Zab 11-16-2008 06:29 PM

Rearing is only dangerous if it's not done properly. Canter is too :P
A horse that rears without permission is just like a horse that runs off without permission.
Or as they said on a swedish forum:
Quote:

"Oh no! Don't teach your horse to JUMP! What if it just jumps without an obstacle? Or starts jumping out of the pasture! :O
But most people/kids teach rearing by pulling the reins and kichk the sides, and at the same time they don't have a good sense of timing when it comes to correct the horse if it does it when it shouldn't... that tends to be bad.
But think of the spanish riding shool and levade.. it's a rearing that comes out of collection. And it's safe since its trained right. Not that the rearing has to come out of collection, but it should have a cue that's very hard to mistake, and it has to be a well trained horse. Not all horses are fit to learn it.

Sometimes tho, I know horses that has been taught to rear at command because they did it by disobedience before.. and it helped. (just like you can teach a barking dog to be quiet by first teaching it a cue for barking)
Enough of rearing :P

Other tricks are bowing (learnt that to one horse), spanish walk, carrying things, following you and backing with you, lie down, sit etc :)

SonnyWimps 11-16-2008 06:53 PM

true....but unless you know what you are doing while teaching a horse to rear, it's better not to teach it IMO.
I'm teaching Sonny how to bow and so on...but I'll never teach him to rear in case I mess up somewhere. It's just safer

Zab 11-16-2008 07:07 PM

But that goes for everything, really :P