The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle rubbing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-rubbing-17390/)

equinkel 11-11-2008 05:26 PM

Saddle rubbing?

My saddle is rubbing the inside of my left thigh really bad (to the point of bruising). It seems like it's coming from the buckle of the stirrup leathers under the flap. I'm hoping to ride this saddle out (don't mind the pun:) until Christmas. Any suggestions on making this more comfy. Or should I just chuck it in the dumpter now?

BeauReba 11-11-2008 07:26 PM

Hmmm... could you try putting a piece of thick felt over it? Is your leg moving much when you ride? That could cause irritation.

equinkel 11-11-2008 07:35 PM

Too much movement is a possibility... I've been riding for 3 weeks after a LONG time off (like 15 years):) But I still think my saddle sucks!

My2Geldings 11-11-2008 09:41 PM

Maybe it's time to ride without stirrups for a few months my dear.

SonnyWimps 11-11-2008 09:53 PM

what type of pants are you wearing? The one western saddle that i used to use rubbed my legs until I was bleeding...and I found out it was because of the pants I was wearing...not the saddle.
I ended up having to wrap my legs in polos (:lol::lol::lol:...yes horse polo wraps) for about a week afterwards while I rode so I wouldn't bother my legs anymore

luvs2ride1979 11-12-2008 12:01 AM

Try running the leathers down, so the buckle is below your knee. Use a rubber band or zip tie to keep the loose end from tickling your horse's belly. See if that helps. If so, you might look into getting some Webbers.

booner 11-12-2008 09:02 AM

Interesting...I too had this happen a few times, but I think it was just me getting used to riding again and maybe not sitting well in the saddle.I dont get the bruising anymore.

equinkel 11-12-2008 05:08 PM

Something is causing me to hold too tight with my left inner thigh. My horse is really unbalanced going to the right so maybe I'm holding him in too much with my leg. He's an ottb and he's super stiff on going to the right. I'll try some of your suggestions. I'm trying out a new (used) saddle from the tack shop. We'll see what happens tomorrow.