The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Potbelly pigs alone or in group (tough dicision) (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/potbelly-pigs-alone-group-tough-dicision-17397/)

travlingypsy 11-11-2008 08:28 PM

Potbelly pigs alone or in group (tough dicision)

Ive got my sexy pig here but Ive been feeling really bad for him because since he has moved out side full time. Hes by him self most of the time, I cant get him another pig because of where we are at. And he sometimes plays with my dog but he just ends up hurting the dog.

I could bring him inside again but he wont have his old room back because we picked up a stray cat that was skin and bones so now she lives in the bathroom. (you want a cat?) If we brought him inside we would have to baby proof every thing again which isnt a big deal. Just hes SUPER smart and knows his strength.

But the main problem with bringing him in is that my other dog, HATES him and has attacked him lots of times when hes inside. So we had her muzzeld but she still went after him. At least she couldnt hurt him. I dont get why he can tear a couple holes in my other dog playing but cant defend himself against the other. I know thats all it would take is to hurt her and she wouldnt attack him again.

ANYWAYS! My point is do you think he is happy? Or should I find him another home with other pigs. Or someone who can just have him an indoor pig without dogs or dogs that dont attack... Uh. This is hard cause I love the lil guy and want everyone to be happy.

The hubba bubba sexy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...love/006-1.jpg

Gingerrrrr 11-12-2008 04:11 PM

does he act sad or lonely?

travlingypsy 11-12-2008 07:06 PM

Yah he kinda does, like he will sit at the slider door wanting in. Or when ever we open the door he will come running.

Gingerrrrr 11-14-2008 07:21 PM

you could bring him back in the house so he can spend time with you guys if your willing to do that.

QtrHorse 11-15-2008 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2 year old porker named Louéeee. Although he is not a vietnamese he is supposed to be a mini-pig. (Not so mini now) He came to live with us when he was 7 months old and lived in the house with us until this past spring when he moved out into the barn. He is so smart and was never destructive and immpecable with this toiletries in and out. My husband installed a wireless door bell which he used to ask to go in and out. He is a real kick. Give him a paper bag and it will last him all day while he shred it up for his "nest". The only challenges we had in the house was that he liked to tip over the dining room chairs and then when he began to loose his hair it was difficult to manage. None of my vacum cleaners would pick it up and I didn't argue too much when he decided he liked it outside. He is a "single" pig and has always seemed happy and content. We have 3 dogs and a cat. He thinks he is a dog and gets along with everyone. Our chihuahua and he are best friends and sleep together at night in his stall. I have never had any problems with dogs but I can only imagine how upset he would be if anything ever showed him aggression in any way. It is not recommended that a person keep dogs and pigs together but I guess it just depends on the environment. He comes and goes around the farm as he want to. He does worry when things are out of order. He is my No. 1 helper in the barn (he follows me around usually getting in the way) and always has lots of visitors each day.
I try to keep him stimulated but these days he is more content to sleep and just be up and about for an hour or two a day.
Your pig friends safety and health is your first priority. They can get quite agressive and territorial. If this becomes the case then a re-evaluation of the environment would be good. There are plenty of pet pig websites with lots of good information. Good luck and I will look forward to hearing how it plays out. Louéeee says HI.

Attachment 1148

hillbillyin 11-16-2008 12:11 PM

Both of those pigs are adorable! Traveling Gypsy, I do think pigs should be in a group of at least two. I think the reason QtrHorse's Louee is doing so well, is because he can have run of the place, and has lots of interaction with humans as well as other animals. Is your pig just penned up by himself all the time? If so, he probably is lonely and bored. I would consider finding him another home, ONLY if it would be a better situation for him---that means being able to actually go and see where he will be living. If people interested in him don't agree to thios, then they aren't the right ones to have him. Good luck---maybe if you can just spend a couple of hours a day playing with your pig, you won't have to find him a new home at all.

travlingypsy 11-16-2008 05:55 PM

Sexy does have like free range in our yard. Its less then an acre but its pritty big. So hes not pinned up. and my dogs do go out there but only the rottie will actually play with him.
You should see my other post "the worst experiance ever" It mentions how I went to this ladies house to drop him off and see if it would work out and stuff well she was drunk,lives in the city and owns a duplex and there is a LOT more!