The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Which Cutting/Ranch Prospect Is Best? (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/cutting-ranch-prospect-best-174057/)

Mecate 04-13-2013 02:38 PM

Which Cutting/Ranch Prospect Is Best?

Hi,

I'm currently on the hunt for a nice AQHA colt (2010, 2011, or 2012) to start in cutting and some ranch work and then sell as a well started ranch gelding prospect.

I've found these few and was just wondering which you think is the best in terms of bloodlines and potential. I don't mind paying more for a 2011 or 2010 colt, because I won't have to feed them as long!

Colts off the Davis Ranch in Utah

Autumnatic Merada DR

Autumn Okie DR

Shades of Boon DR

Sparking Merada DR

Colts from Nelson Performance Horses:

Colonelgun Quarter Horse Sale Gooding Idaho

Hickgun Quarter Horse Sale Gooding Idaho

Playgun Oak 121 Quarter Horse Sale Gooding Idaho

Or, finally, one of the two 2012 stud colts at the top of this page, Hez Good N Smart or Clarks Smart Mate:
Beck Ranch Horses Horses for Sale - excellent prospects and broke ranch horses.

The Autumnatic Merada colt or the Colonelgun colt are probably top picks, but wanted to know what you all think.

Thanks for your help!

stevenson 04-13-2013 03:11 PM

I like the first two from the first ranch. and the third one from the second ranch, the bay from the 2nd ranch looks kinda splay footed . I liked all the horses on the 3rd ranch..lol

franknbeans 04-13-2013 03:49 PM

I like the ones from the first ranch......personally, the Peptoboonsmal one is appealing, with the breeding, price and age, you could start it now. Some of the others are a year or 2 away from starting.

Mecate 04-13-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 2218089)
I like the ones from the first ranch......personally, the Peptoboonsmal one is appealing, with the breeding, price and age, you could start it now. Some of the others are a year or 2 away from starting.

How are the Peptoboonsmal horses to start? I've not personally worked with them... have you had any experiences with them? I've heard that they tend to be a little bigger than many of the cutting/reining bloodlines.

franknbeans 04-13-2013 05:26 PM

Honestly, I don't know. You could ask Jeremy at Stony Ford Ranch-he seems to have had a bunch of them to start!

COWCHICK77 04-14-2013 01:40 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I like the Autumnatic Merada colt out of the first bunch, the Playgun Oak colt out of the second group and the first colt on top of the page out of the third bunch.

EDIT.. I have started some Pepto colts and I like them. I seen in one of those colts bloodlines was Dual Pep, have started a few that came from the Wards, they can be a handful but super quick and sensitive.

rob 05-31-2013 01:07 AM

you are correct.alot of the boonsmal colts are big,but they are great athletes.i have started and trained several and i never had a problem with them

cowgirlnay 06-18-2013 02:48 PM

Totally a side not (not trying to hijack your post) but I do have a nice 2011 bay gelding for sale :) Shining Spark, Gallo Del Cielo, and Smart Little Lena bloodlines...Currently 10 rides under saddle. I have a video. Let me know if you want any more info!