The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hock sores and duct tape? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hock-sores-duct-tape-174065/)

Muppetgirl 04-13-2013 01:45 PM

Hock sores and duct tape?

Ok, so my horse gets hock sores, no matter how deep the bedding, what kind of bedding, dirt floor, wood floor, rubber mats, inside, outside......I'm not there at night to watch what's he's doing in his stall - but we have deciphered that he moves around quite a bit and pushes all his (deep) shavings up the walls and must rub his hocks getting up and down.......

Someone suggested hock socks.....I haven't read many great reviews on these things......then someone told me you can use duct tape??

Has anyone used duct tape? If so, how did it work out? I prefer not to spend $150 on special hock boots just to have them fall apart or sore up my horse!

walkinthewalk 04-13-2013 05:22 PM

He may very well have arthritis in his back legs that is radiating up thru the hips. If that is the case, try not bedding him so deep; it's a struggle for him to get thru all those shavings.

My 25 yo is like that. I have six inches of crush, with grid mats, and I only bed him in 2 - 3 inches of shavings. He does a lot better with less shavings.

If your stall mats are slick, as opposed to something textured or nobby, he doesn't have anything to grip his hooves to; they be slipping when he tries to get up and he's using his hocks in similar fashion that we use our elbows to push up --- I dunno, just theorizing on that one:?

Both my mid-20's Fella's hock sores disappeared when I put the grid mats down and changed shavings to the Calloway Triple Select. That was three years ago.

Anyway, Try not bedding him as deep and see what happens.

As far as duct tape on the hock sores? I've never heard of that; I'm curious if anyone has:?

Muppetgirl 04-13-2013 06:01 PM

Yes, it's said that you gauze and ointment/cream over the rub, place a 3"x3" pice of duct tape over the area and just leave it on until it falls off and that 'apparently' it doesn't pull the hairs out and protects the hocks?

My guys only six and doesn't show signs if arthritis. When I am there and do see him get up and down he has no trouble. In fact he tends to bounce like a bunny when getting up from a roll in the arena!

I was wondering since its shedding season that perhaps he's getting up and down more to roll because he's itchy? He does like a good roll and will roll up to four times up and down when turned out! Maybe that is what is making his little hock sores a bit bigger?

Brenna Lee 04-13-2013 06:04 PM

Subbing my horse has the same issue.

walkinthewalk 04-13-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2219929)
Yes, it's said that you gauze and ointment/cream over the rub, place a 3"x3" pice of duct tape over the area and just leave it on until it falls off and that 'apparently' it doesn't pull the hairs out and protects the hocks?

My guys only six and doesn't show signs if arthritis. When I am there and do see him get up and down he has no trouble. In fact he tends to bounce like a bunny when getting up from a roll in the arena!

I was wondering since its shedding season that perhaps he's getting up and down more to roll because he's itchy? He does like a good roll and will roll up to four times up and down when turned out! Maybe that is what is making his little hock sores a bit bigger?

Well, that shot my theory:-P

My next thought would be, if he likes to roll that much in the arena, maybe his skin is that sensitive to the arena material?

I've put meds on hock sores before, but adding the duct tape when the sore is covered in meds, does make sense.

The only other thing that would hold gauze and/or meds on would be vet wrap and it would be really easy to wrap it around the hock too tight. That's probably how the duct tape concept came to be:?

livelovelaughride 04-13-2013 08:48 PM

My guy gets the odd bit of hock wear and we are on a fine gravel bed for paddock. He does not lie in the shavings in his stall. Its the gravel I am certain that's causing one of his hocks to be a little abraded. I have been using duct tape with a skin ointment underneath.

It was also suggested to me by one of my barn mates. Use ointment that does not chemically fuse with the duct tape adhesive. I tried MTG on the hock, and duct tape: what a MESS it became all gummy and I was afraid to tear skin or hair off!! Hock boot may work but I'd try and borrow one first.

krazygirl 04-13-2013 09:03 PM

My mare had an abscess. I cleaned it, soaked it, used baby diapers as padding, wrapped with vet wrap then duct tape. I just had to be careful I didn't get her hair with the tape. Works very well and it always kept it clean.

existentialpony 04-13-2013 11:00 PM

So that's what his hock boo-boos are from! Gah! My boy has them particularly on one leg (I'm assuming his favorite rollie-pollie side). Subbing to see other peoples' ideas. Do you suppose ointment + vetwrap would work?

Muppetgirl 04-13-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by existentialpony (Post 2222641)
So that's what his hock boo-boos are from! Gah! My boy has them particularly on one leg (I'm assuming his favorite rollie-pollie side). Subbing to see other peoples' ideas. Do you suppose ointment + vetwrap would work?

The only thing about vet wrap, or anything actually that wraps around the hock area it it could get tight and cause other issues.....hence why I was interested in the duct tape idea....

Called a knowledgeable friend today and asked her, and she said its actually quite normal and sometimes it's better to just let it callous up so the area gets tough and doesn't get scabby and sore anymore. I guess it's kind of like dogs who always choose to sit on the concrete instead of the grass and end up with elbow callouses?

existentialpony 04-13-2013 11:08 PM

^ my dog. :-P She spends her days on our concrete patio watching for lizards to hunt.

I actually bought a trial size of equaide to try and heal up the skinned/sore areas on my horse's hock (they're small, but gosh darn it they never heal!) so I'll let you know how that goes.

If anyone has $40 to spare or is rich: Horse Hock Shield Cushioned Protectors Pair

I bet something similar could be constructed for much cheaper!